Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No enough room below x-carriage for 40-mm fan?

Posted by Karmavore 
No enough room below x-carriage for 40-mm fan?
January 24, 2013 09:31PM
Hello All,

I was looking into adding a 40mm fan to my Prusa Mendel i2, when I discovered that the combination of
1) GregFrost's LM8UU X Carriage with Fan Mount (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:9869)
2) Wade Goes Fishing extruder (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5268)
3) J-Head Mark V hotend
caused an issue.

When I mount a 40mm fan, it drops down further than the hotend nozzle by about 2mm. So, yay for reclaimed z-print space, I guess.

But has anyone else encountered this issue? And if so, what can be done about it?

Brad
Re: No enough room below x-carriage for 40-mm fan?
January 24, 2013 09:39PM
I have a 25 mm fan attached to my carriage. I had to print a small adaptor part to connect to the 40 mm holes.
January 25, 2013 07:26AM
I use 30mm fans, they fit perfectly between to bearing holders.
February 05, 2013 03:32PM
I use two VGA type fans - one front, one back and find they work well like here: [www.thingiverse.com]
I like the idea of using one or two 30mm fans between the rails built into the x-carriager, must try that.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
February 06, 2013 03:24AM
I have attached some images of a carriage I designed to take 2 30mm fans for cooling my jhead which are always on and one 40mm controlled by ramps for cooling the print.

The red one is the second version with the 40mm mount. Blue is the prototype without it.
Attachments:
open | download - photo 1.JPG (116.8 KB)
open | download - photo 2.JPG (107.5 KB)
open | download - photo 3.JPG (112.4 KB)
February 06, 2013 11:25PM
Thanks, lazzymonk,

The light blue mount... are the screws that mount through your blue part and into the carriage at a distance consistent for a 40mm fan? IOW, could I use that design to mount a 30mm fan where I currently have screw holes (in Greg's x-carriage) for a 40mm fan?

If so, could I borrow your design files?
If not, are your design files something I could modify to fit the x-carriage that I'm using?
February 07, 2013 12:39PM
The blue mount holding the fan onto the red carriage? That is a 40mm to 40mm mount. I designed the carriage to take a 40mm fan there but rather than making the mount part of the carriage i wanted separate so i could attach other things there instead, like my dial meter or a pen for plotting.

i can share the designs for sure. you after the carriage or the mount?
February 07, 2013 02:20PM
Mount. 40mm to 40mm sounds great, since then I won't have to buy a new fan. In fact, putting the fan on an angle using your mount solves my issue with the fan dropping too low. Thanks! Done and done.

And in the meanwhile, I can work on a design to combine the usefulness of Greg's x-carriage with the functionality of a fan vent like that found in a MendelMax 1.5. If I ever do that, I'll be back to show it off.
February 07, 2013 05:30PM
Mount attached
Attachments:
open | download - fan mount.stl (207.6 KB)
February 09, 2013 12:48AM
Thanks, Lazzymonk. I'm now printing with a fan, to my benefit. Best hollow cube I've ever printed.

But I'm not entirely happy with my setup yet. First, my Reprap's parent printed out a version of the x-carriage with nut traps that were too small, so my fan is more loosely attached than I would like. Second, I'm losing x print distance to the fan. So, as long as I'm replacing my x-carriage, I'm looking around for one that would allow me to place the fan in the rear. And that's what yours does.

So, I'm back, hat in hand, somewhat sheepishly asking for the carriage design. Thanks!
February 09, 2013 05:50AM
No problem at all, the file is too big to upload here so i put it on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com]
February 17, 2013 12:10AM
Thanks, Lazzy.

I thought I'd come back here and post the solution that I'm currently using, which is a self-designed rear mount suitable for addition to a Greg Frost x-carriage:

See Thingiverse #51068.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login