Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Prusa i2 Build, motors not moving..

Posted by rptynan 
New Prusa i2 Build, motors not moving..
March 15, 2013 08:59PM
I'm making my first build, a prusa i2.

I have motors from here and a RAMPs set from reprapdiscount on ebay.

I have my frame build and I started to wire everything up. I need to figure out the wiring sequence for the motors, but I can't get them to move whatsoever, not even a sound, or shudder. I have my RAMPs (running Marlin) connected to my computer, running linux. I have one thermistor wired and I can read it fine in pronterface and repsnapper, but even after following the wire sequence part on the wiki, here, when I issue any homing or x axis movement commands nothing happens. I've also tried the RAMPs testing code from the wiki.

Any help would be appreciated..

-Richard

[tynan.me]
Re: New Prusa i2 Build, motors not moving..
March 16, 2013 06:10AM
The motor connections are shown on the Aliexpress page
March 16, 2013 06:31AM
Run M119 and post result.
March 16, 2013 11:52AM
I've tried the motors in many connection layouts and the following was the first I had tried:
Motor----------------RAMPS
Red:      A+ .........1A
Green:    A- .........1B
Yellow:   B+ .........2A
Blue:     B- .........2B
I then switched the wires as described in the wiki also.

Here's the output of M119:
>>>M119
SENDING:M119
Reporting endstop status
x_min: open
x_max: open
y_min: open
y_max: open
z_min: open
z_max: open

-Richard

[tynan.me]
March 17, 2013 04:31PM
The M119 result is ok. I would check power next, does your hot end or heat bed work? Check the wiring, all 4 terminals for input power should be connected in RAMPS.
March 17, 2013 06:52PM
Hmm, it seems the power supply may be the issue.

I'm using a converted PC power supply, it's rated 30A on the 12V line, so there shouldn't be a problem there.
I jumpered the connection needed to turn it on and then took 4 wires of 12V and 2 of 5V, along with 6 wires of ground, out of the molex connectors. I can measure 12V and 5V from the connectors, so it is producing something.

I had tried to heat up my bed and extruder before and it had worked, but I only tried to heat them up a small bit. So I tried to get them up to ABS temperature (240C on extruder and 100C on the bed) but they can only get up to 170C and 48C respectively. I had some loads I've tried on the different lines too, some 10 ohm 10W resistors and some 12V 25W bulbs, but they don't help.

Could this be it?

Thanks,

-Richard

[tynan.me]
March 18, 2013 12:47PM
Well, it might be the issue. Put load on 5 V line, 12V 25W bulb will do fine. Then connect your heat bed and monitor the 12 V line voltage. It should not drop too much. Also make sure that all your lines are 12 V that go to RAMPS, in PC PSU that is the yellow color. Then if the heat bed works fine (with 5V loaded), try your steppers again.
March 18, 2013 01:20PM
That did the trick, after messing around with different loads I got it to work with just the 21W bulb on the 5V line.

Thanks for your help!

-Richard

[tynan.me]
March 18, 2013 06:04PM
Great! Glad to help smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login