Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual cooling fans on x-axis

Posted by deanfantastic 
Dual cooling fans on x-axis
May 18, 2013 04:13AM
The kit I originally got had a single fan mounted on directly on the x carriage and it worked on one side of the print, but the opposite side still warped quite badly.

If I had one of these (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14759, modified for 40mm fans) on each end of the x-axis smooth rods, not connected to the carriage, do you think there would be enough airflow in the center of the print bed to effectively cool or would it all be lost to turbulence?

I'm going to try it anyway but thought someone might have had some experience with this already.

Cheers
DF
Re: Dual cooling fans on x-axis
May 18, 2013 05:37AM
I'm finding with a heated bed you only need to cool the hotend barrel, the printed work sits flat.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Richmond, New Zealand
Thingiverse ~ YouTube
Re: Dual cooling fans on x-axis
May 19, 2013 01:05AM
Here's the last couple of prints I've done. The 40mm fan was to the left of each model. You can see on the pyramid where the side of the layer with the fan set well a lot further into the print, but eventually they went to shit too.

The blue PLA is a new supplier, they recommended 230degC at the hot end. The first PLA I use was only 185degC and I never saw the effect. I've tried lower but it doesnt seem to flow at anything below that. I think the temp of the plastic is high enough out of the nozzle that it's being retained in layer longer than Slic3r (what I'm using) can set the fan and print speed for. The x carriage has a 40mm fan pointed horizontally at the hot end, but not the active layer.

I dont really want to load the x carriage with two fans so I'm hoping bigger fans might let me mount them further away.

[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
Attachments:
open | download - Photo 2013-05-19 12.30.08 PM.jpg (257.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login