Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Noob - Tricolour Mendel Centering Prints on bed

Posted by garym999 
Noob - Tricolour Mendel Centering Prints on bed
May 20, 2013 02:03PM
My first post and already overwhelmed with info but none the less managed to build up my new printer the last few days and get some basic prints off. Very impressed and very happy.

Now for one of many silly questions no doubt. But how do setup the home postion? The X limit switch is fitted at the motor end with no possibility for adjustment. This means the primary extruder hangs off the bed but the secondary is just on. When I start a print or issue a center command the primary extruder is 10mm in from the edge of the glass meaning that prints can happen off the bed.

What do I set where to correct for this? Please be aware have very little knowledge of Prontointerface GCode etc. so need very clear instructions.

TIA
Re: Noob - Tricolour Mendel Centering Prints on bed
May 20, 2013 02:20PM
Sorry I can't help with your problem, but if you dont mind me asking is this your first printer? I have been considering the tricolour mendel but didn't know if it would be to complex as a first 3D printer.
Anyway, I hope you get answers to your problem and would be very interested to see any photos of your tricolour prints.

Dave
May 20, 2013 02:51PM
Yep, my first one indeed. It is fair to say that you need to be fairly well versed in a number of areas to build the printer but I guess that would be the same for any DIY printer.

I have made a few mistakes along the way, the most major of which was mounting the circuit boards on the rear and not the front and not noticing until I had wired it up.

The build starts out as though it was a single extruder printer and this is where I'm at the moment so you don't have to bother with the complexity of a 3 head unit until you are happy with the first.

I'm very happy with the printing results just by following the basic calibration instuctions but trying to tweek them now to get the best out of it. Once done I'll move on to the other heads.

The only thing so far releating to it being a three head machine is the centering of the bed on the primary head.

One thing that might correct this is by relocating the primary head to LHS side of the x carridge but must admitt I have not seen any instructions (Yet?) that say in what order and side each head should go?
May 20, 2013 03:07PM
My Bad...

Looking at the instructions again but more importantly the pictures it looks as though the primary head should be mounted on the front RHS of the X carridge. No mention of where the other two heads should go.
May 20, 2013 03:49PM
Also gone back over the online instructions and there is now a section covering print bed centering. I was working off a set of printed instructions that I printed out when I placed the order for the printer and these have since been updated. Just need to fathom the head order
May 20, 2013 06:34PM
Thanks for the info. I think I may stick with the single extruder version to start with and get that up and running (hopefully!) before investing in the extra extruders, especially as there isn't any price benefit buying it from the start.
Glad to hear you seem to be solving your own problems.
Good luck with the rest of the build.

Dave
May 21, 2013 08:09PM
Generally, you can fit the first hot end in any of the available slots; you set the final position of the nozzle on the corner of the bed using the M206 gcode (instructions in 'Comissioning'). If you're building a Tricolour, our standard layout is to fit the first extruder on the front left space.

Our standard layout is to fit the second extruder front right, and the third extruder back right. But you can always change the order; you just need to change the offsets for the two extra extruders, set using the G10 gcode (instructions in 'Comissioning').

I've updated the instructions with the above: [reprappro.com]
May 22, 2013 05:24AM
droftarts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you set the final position of
> the nozzle on the corner of the bed using the M206
> gcode (instructions in 'Comissioning').

...Many thanks for the update. Actually these are in the "Printing" section.

One thing I have learnt here is that in my wisdom to print paper copies of the instcutions to bush up on the build before the machine arrived I should have gone back to the online instrcutions as these are subject to very regular updates.
May 22, 2013 05:57AM
Oh dear, it was rather late last night when I replied - I was doing it from memory! I've edited the wiki page, so the M206 reference is 'Printing'. The G10 reference is actually on the 'Multi-colour/multi-materials' page - I've edited that, too.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login