Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3D files of Prusa I3 single sheet version (IGES/STEP)

Posted by davidsen 
3D files of Prusa I3 single sheet version (IGES/STEP)
June 17, 2013 02:44AM
Hi Everybody,

me and my brother are planning to build a Prusa I3.
We already bought the most of the materials and want to start with it next week.

For us it would be great to have a 1:1 3D model of our printer at our CAD Software which make it easier to design any addons or improvements.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Openscad so I would be great to have all the files as IGES or STEP format so I can import them into my CAD software.
I already tried to convert the STL files to IGES or Step but the parts I get are not solid so I'm not able to use them in an assembly.

I'm wondering if anybody has a set of all printed parts ( or a complete assembly?) of the Prusa I3 single sheet version as IGES or STEP.

many thanks!!!!
Re: 3D files of Prusa I3 single sheet version (IGES/STEP)
June 17, 2013 03:57PM
i have a partially built model in freecad
June 17, 2013 04:29PM
Hi Chris,

thats better than nothing.... can you upload it somewhere and post the link?

I found a modified version done in Blender and will check if I can use these files but I think Blender Files are also not "solid":

[github.com]
June 17, 2013 10:21PM
I will put it on thingiverse in morning
June 18, 2013 01:44AM
Great!!!!
June 18, 2013 04:29PM
here it is its not all complete but most of the tags are labelled to each parts theres a few things not properly labelled they are my recent work on the model. what i was doing is opening the scad parts and converting them too stls and importing them to freecad just useds free cad for the modeling the rods [www.thingiverse.com]
June 19, 2013 03:53PM
thankl you for the files.

I will take a look.

Can you export it to a format supported by autodesk inventor?
June 19, 2013 04:23PM
what file format it it crux?

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 19, 2013 04:58PM
I only find it in surfaces. I would like to have them in solid. Is there any way to convert it to solid? step or similar?
July 27, 2013 03:25PM
Hi Chris,

It was nice to provide the i3 assembly in FreeCAD, unfortunately it is not very usable in its current state. I don't know what happened but most solid parts you modeled completely lost their history. And oddly the preselection highlighting is broken (does not work) for most of the parts.

Crux
I already tried to convert the STL files to IGES or Step but the parts I get are not solid so I'm not able to use them in an assembly.

The STL file format is a polygonal mesh format. When saving in STL, surfaces are converted into facets, and a mesh model is never solid. In CAD, STL is mainly an output format with very limited use afterward. I call STL "garbage out" because that's what it is, garbage in CAD.

That being said FreeCAD contrary to most CAD software can mix STL mesh parts with solid models in the same document. That's what chris33 did, many of the parts in his assembly are mesh imported from STL files.

FreeCAD can convert mesh to solid but it won't change the fact that mesh is a degraded format. For example a hole is not a true hole, it is a multi-sided polygon. Same for surfaces. So even if mesh parts could be converted to solid parts, once imported into your SolidWorks assembly you'll have a hard time applying 3D relationships.

FreeCAD has an OpenSCAD module that allows it to import and convert .scad files into solid unfortunately it does not work fully reliably yet. I tried importing i3 printed parts with limited success. A couple imported OK, some with geometry errors and others failed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2013 03:27PM by NormandC.
July 28, 2013 06:26AM
OK I spent some time importing the Prusa3-vanilla .scad (OpenSCAD) files into FreeCAD. It works surprisingly well! I just needed to change a setting to make it convert "polyholes" (holes in shape of polygons) to true cylindrical holes.

I've effortlessly converted many parts and exported them to STEP. I rebuild a few which would not import. I also started building an assembly based on chris33's work.

Crux, if you still need STEP files for the Prusa i3, I may have something more or less complete in a few days. Unless you've already remodeled everything in SolidWorks! grinning smiley

July 28, 2013 06:53AM
sorry if mine was mashed up mine was a reference to mine for sizing up a box around it but yours looks sweet im nearly there just filament and glass cutter away from print calibrating

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
July 28, 2013 11:46AM
Thanks.

I would like them.

I did some stuff on inventor. Not much

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login