Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Corners curling up on first layer

Posted by cashman04 
Corners curling up on first layer
July 21, 2013 03:36PM
What is causing corners to catch the extruder head and curl up on direction change? I'm guessing extruder too close to bed? But could it be too hot bed (70), or too cold? Also, I have my fan off for first layers, should I turn it on at beginning?
Attachments:
open | download - photo.JPG (578.8 KB)
Re: Corners curling up on first layer
July 21, 2013 10:47PM
Fan off if its ABS and looking at the size of that print, you probably don't need it on for PLA initially either. Also extruder is not too close to the bed - it may even be too high? Set it to 0.1mm max (A4 paper thickness) or a fraction less. Bed temp of 60C should be ok with PLA and 110C with ABS.

July 23, 2013 02:54PM
If you look in the reflection, you can see fingerprints on your bed. Clean it! They interfere with adherence more than I would have expected.

I also agree with waitaki that the first layer might benefit by being just a tad closer to the bed.

If neither of those two items help, I'd next try increasing the first layer hotend temperature by 2 or 3 degrees.
August 08, 2013 11:46AM
Is it ABS? You need to hit the bed with some hairspray, then heat it to 110C
August 10, 2013 06:03PM
rhartman80 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it ABS? You need to hit the bed with some
> hairspray, then heat it to 110C

Indeed...and I've found this stuff to be the hands-down best. It grabs parts like glue, yet is water soluble. They should sell this stuff just for reprappers:

Garnier Fructis Style Extreme Hairspray
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login