Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Botmill Axis 2.1 - Question about gear placement on XAxis motor

Posted by rjd 
rjd
Botmill Axis 2.1 - Question about gear placement on XAxis motor
May 17, 2011 10:31AM
I am in the process of building a Botmill Axis 2.1 printer and need help understanding why Botmill decided to use a variation on the drive pulley gear for the X-Axis?

In the Mendel instructions it says to use a gear that extends the entire length of the motor shaft but they are using this one that has a base. [www.thingiverse.com]

On the Botmill blog it says to push this down as far as you can on the drive shaft, which I did, but when I put the belt around it and the 4 bearings on the end of the Motor Bracket, it doesn't quite seem to line up smoothly.

Has anyone else run into this issue with the Botmill Axis? If so, what did you do to resolve it?

I attached some pictures that show what mine looks like.

Botmill support is quite unresponsive and frustrating so I am counting on this forum. Thanks for the help!
Attachments:
open | download - DSC_0063.JPG (134.3 KB)
open | download - DSC_0067.JPG (119 KB)
Re: Botmill Axis 2.1 - Question about gear placement on XAxis motor
May 17, 2011 10:47AM
I don't have a Botmill version, but I ended up using different drive pulleys for a different reason and had a similar problem. I used M4 washers under the bearings as spacers to raise the bearings to be in the right plane for the drive belt on the axis.

Good luck.

James

--
Check out my blog: AdventuresIn3-DPrinting
May 17, 2011 11:01AM
The pulley should be the other way up on the shaft, i.e. flange down, then there is not need for spacers.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
rjd
May 17, 2011 11:39AM
Thanks nophead, I was wondering if that was the issue. It seemed like it.

Check out the botmil instructions for adding the pulley on the shaft.
[botmill.com]

This has to be wrong since there would be alot of friction present between the edge of the washers and the pulley.

I guess I could also put some longer screws in with small washers to hold the motor lower too...
I have the same gear, i installed it with the base away from the motor.
Works great.

W
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login