Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mendel belts used on which cars?

Posted by Myndale 
Mendel belts used on which cars?
September 07, 2011 01:23AM
Does anyone know which model car(s) the belts for Mendel are usually used in? (Assuming there are cars that use them, of course...I'm guessing there). Here in Australia timing belts don't have physical specs listed on the boxes they ship in, so unless you can tell the retailer which car you want it for they generally can't help you.
Re: Mendel belts used on which cars?
September 07, 2011 02:20AM
They aren't used in any cars that I know of. If they can't get you belts based on the pitch then there is something wrong.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
September 07, 2011 02:44AM
> If they can't get you belts based on the pitch then
> there is something wrong.

Understatement of the year I'm afraid sad smiley I've visited about half a dozen different retailers that supply belts down here and the story is always the same. The belts come in boxes that have a part number listed on the outside but no information about pitch, length or tooth profile. Furthermore, the product number on the box usually isn't the same as the retailers stock code number, so even if you find a belt on their web site they still have to look it up in their database at the store to go get it for you (presumably because the suppliers, and hence the product codes, can and do change from time to time). Here's the great bit: neither the web sites or the store computer databases index by specs, the staff can only search by the model of the car for the belt you're looking for.

Yes, it really is that stupid. I've rummaged through stacks of belt boxes myself and there's no identifying info on them at all. Staff have referred me to head offices, head offices have referred me to engineering departments and engineering departments have referred me to their head R&D people overseas. At which point I threw up my hands and said "!@#$ it, I'll try EBay".
September 07, 2011 07:24AM
They are nothing like car timing belts. The standard T5 belt is much too light for that application, they are meant for machine automation generally. If you are having trouble finding belts in Australia, PM Greg Frost and ask him where he gets his - he's in Aus like you: [forums.reprap.org] or ask him in this thread [forums.reprap.org]
September 07, 2011 07:33AM
[ausxmods.com.au]

Get some cheap pulleys while you are at it:
[ausxmods.com.au]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 07:36AM by Greg Frost.
September 07, 2011 10:14PM
Ah, ok, I was thinking that maybe the T5 belts were used to drive the more lightweight components in the car (pumps etc).

Thanks for the links, I did know about ausxmods but was hoping to find a local supplier as well.
September 08, 2011 11:05AM
Not sure about the T5 belts but I've found MXL and XL timing belts on vacuum cleaners, linking the rotary brush to the motor. Also, on a small old planar.

Maybe that will give you some more places to look if you really want a local source.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login