Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

skein layer without generation

Posted by comwarrior 
skein layer without generation
November 18, 2011 08:56AM
Is their a way to bring up skein layer for a file that has already been generated?

Thanks
Re: skein layer without generation
November 18, 2011 09:19AM
Yup, using command line :

python whereveryourskeinforgeis/skeinforge_application/skeinforge_plugins/analyze_plugins/skeinlayer.py yourgcodefile.gcode

Or using interface :

Attachments:
open | download - skeinlayer.png (102.9 KB)
November 18, 2011 09:37AM
As long as its a penultimate gcode file you can use the normal Skeinforge button...

Manufacturer of low tolerance Filaments PLA, ABS, ASA, PETG, TPU, PA, PVA,
[www.miafilament.com]
[github.com]
November 18, 2011 09:49AM
Just for info.

Whilst fiddling about with Skeinforge I found that the entire penultimate file is not actually required to use SkeinLayer. All that is required is the M103 and M101 commands to tell Skeinlayer when to draw an extruded line and when to draw a travel line.

I made a modified version of Skeinlayer that can read a normal gcode file so long as the M101 and M103 commands are still there, albeit commented out. The following gist has the modified file (taken from SFACT v42.4.1 (11.09.15)), and an example replace.csv file that leaves the M101 and M103 codes in place... https://gist.github.com/1376633

------------------------------------------
garyhodgson.com/reprap | reprap.development-tracker.info | thingtracker.net
November 18, 2011 03:14PM
garyhodgson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just for info.
>
> Whilst fiddling about with Skeinforge I found that
> the entire penultimate file is not actually
> required to use SkeinLayer. All that is required
> is the M103 and M101 commands to tell Skeinlayer
> when to draw an extruded line and when to draw a
> travel line.
>
> I made a modified version of Skeinlayer that can
> read a normal gcode file so long as the M101 and
> M103 commands are still there, albeit commented
> out. The following gist has the modified file
> (taken from SFACT v42.4.1 (11.09.15)), and an
> example replace.csv file that leaves the M101 and
> M103 codes in place...
> [gist.github.com]

Garyhodgson, thanks for the file, much appreciated however i think i've found a bug/issue

>>> skeinlayer.py "C:\Users\comwarrior\Desktop\ABC's crap\Stepper Gear mini - X1
  File "", line 1
    skeinlayer.py "C:\Users\comwarrior\Desktop\ABC's crap\Stepper Gear mini - X1
.bfb"

^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Let me guess, the spaces?
November 18, 2011 03:33PM
Hmmm, that's weird - at first I thought the single quotation in your folder name would be causing the problem, but I tried my copy out with a similarly named folder and it worked. With spaces in the name too.

I also checked it worked from SFACT directly (usually I run it via cygwin command line) and that seemed also to be ok.

The snippet you pasted seems to be missing a double quote at the very end - is that a paste error or perhaps that's the cause? How are you calling the script? From the GUI directly or from a command line?

November 21, 2011 11:46AM
hi gary,
It's a paste error, i just retried it...

I moved the file to the root of my D drive and removes spaces and the dash...

>>> skeinlayer.py D:\StepperGearmini.bfb
  File "", line 1
    skeinlayer.py D:\StepperGearmini.bfb
                  ^

The ^ is pointing at the D in D:\ so my question is can it handle the drive letter or does it have to be relitive to the python directory... so lets find out...

>>> skeinlayer.py StepperGearmini.bfb
  File "", line 1
    skeinlayer.py StepperGearmini.bfb
                                ^

nope, nothing to do with drive letter/pathing... so i renamed the file to comply with the 8.3 file name convention and no...

>>> skeinlayer.py SGM.bfb
  File "", line 1
    skeinlayer.py SGM.bfb
                    ^

just on the off chance their could be some sort of issue with python27 (x64) i'll throw it in python322 (x64)...

>>> skeinlayer.py SGM.bfb
  File "", line 1
    skeinlayer.py SGM.bfb
                    ^

Nope, python322 does the same... the ^ is pointing at the M...

just for fun i made a shortcut "C:\Python32\python.exe skeinlayer.py SGM.bfb"
The black box comes up and disappears very quickly, BUT i think it's complaining about missing _init_ which i can only assume means i need to put it in the skeinforge directory...

So I renamed the original skeinlayer.py and added on .org and pasted it in the same directory.

The error i now got I think it says "no module called cstringIO"

So to help, it's running SF40 in repg26 the command line was still python322...
And then I had this thought in the back of my mind and pointed it at python27...
It now works...

So, to recap... and make up some instructions... if you wish to include them, feel free.
If using windows...

Go into your repg folder (wherever you put it)
Then go into "skein_engines" > "skeinforge-40" > "skeinforge_application" > "skeinforge_plugins" > "analyze_plugins"
Rename "Skeinlayer.py" to something else to keep the original "Skeinlayer.py.org"
Copy in gary's "skeinlayer.py" into the same directory as what is now "Skeinlayer.py.org"
Delete "skeinlayer.pyc" (proberbly not necessary but it prevents any sort of confusion or use of the wrong file)
Copy the shortcut to python27 command line, place on your desktop and give it a meaningful name "gary's skeinlayer" for example.
Right click on the shortcut you just created and left click on properties.
Where it says 'target' it should point to wherever you put python27, I believe the default is "C:\Python27\python.exe". On the end of that add " skeinlayer.py"
In the 'Start in' box you need to place in the directory path to where you copied Gary's "skeinlayer.py". In my case I'm running repg26 and it's in my program files so mine looks like this "C:\Program Files (x86)\replicatorg-0026\skein_engines\skeinforge-40\skeinforge_application\skeinforge_plugins\analyze_plugins" the existing entry will be pointing you at python27 directory so edit this to match your setup.
Click on 'OK'

You now have a shortcut on your directory, to view your gcode files just drag them onto the icon (as if you were dragging them into a subfolder) and drop. It will pop up with the python command line and show a progress as it's going through the layers and eventually it will popup with skeinlayer.

Job done...
November 21, 2011 01:14PM
Ah, I'm glad you got it working. Thanks for posting the steps needed, I'm sure they'll come in useful!

November 21, 2011 01:46PM
Not a problem... Unfortunately I don't have a linux platform that has python or a GUI or I'd have a go at doing one for linux.

I hope it'll come in handy for someone.
December 19, 2011 05:43PM
comwarrior Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> >>> skeinlayer.py D:\StepperGearmini.bfb
> File "", line 1
> skeinlayer.py D:\StepperGearmini.bfb
> ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
>
> The ^ is pointing at the D in D:\ so my question
> is can it handle the drive letter or does it have
> to be relitive to the python directory... so lets
> find out...
>

The problem is that you are typing this in a python shell, when you should have written this in a regular command prompt (i.e. run > cmd). You get syntax errors since what you are typing aren't valid python commands. A bit late, but I thought it might be good to know smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login