Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Got Sanguinololu 1.3a, now what?

Posted by mmadore 
Re: Got Sanguinololu 1.3a, now what?
October 20, 2011 07:39PM
Down to my shop I excitedly ran, hoping upon hope that this was the culprit... Sadly no, the jumper was firmly in place.

Sigh.
October 23, 2011 03:26PM
To clarify;

With this jumper enabled, (shorted) does that mean that we don't need to hold the reset button?

Thanks,
Mike
October 23, 2011 04:36PM
From my understanding, the jumper is there to turn off autoreset when you remove or attach the usb cable? So you can start a print from sd-card, and unplug/shut off the computer without interfering with the print?

I have no jumper connected on my sang 1.3a, and I can upload firmware with arduino 0018 perfectly fine from windows 7 64bit by utilizing the reset button trick.

--
-Nudel
Blog with RepRap Comic
October 27, 2011 04:06PM
I setup a WinXP workstation with a parallel port to try yet again. No joy. I've recreated the dapa cable twice, swapped USB cables. Nothing seems to work. I ordered an extra atmega644P chip and swapped it in, still can't access.

So far that makes 4 OS's tried.
Ububntu on an old Pentium laptop (Parallel Port available)
Windows7 on an Netbook.
Windows Vista on a laptop
WindowsXP on a workstation. (Parallel Port available)

Used DAPA cable to try to bitbang the bootloader as well as the firmware, always returns the same error.

avrdude: AVR device not responding
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
this check.

avrdude done. Thank you.

If I use the -F switch it warns about an invalid device signature.

Not sure where to go from here.

Any new ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
October 28, 2011 09:13AM
I know in Ubuntu I had to force it. Try forcing it, but rc=1 is a wiring error I think. Make sure you have pins going to everything on the ISP except the 5V, which you can get from the usb cable. (The usb cable will provide the power to the chip, but not do any of the data transmission).
October 28, 2011 04:51PM
I have had dapa working on a 644P in Ubuntu, no problems at all.

Is it possible the guy you brought it off installed the wrong bootloader?

Do you know what state the fuses are in? Normally they are set when the bootloader is written but maybe he didnt do that?

I made a dapa programming board separate from the Sanguinololu, its pretty straightforward. All it takes is a few resistors and a oscillator.
October 29, 2011 12:27AM
I couldn't say what state the fuses are in. The lad I bought the board from has made many before and is a strong contributor to the community I believe. He assures me that he loaded the bootloader and tested the board, moving all the steppers with it, no problem. I'm beginning to wonder though if I'm doing something wrong since I've not yet had a successful connection with any machine I've hooked it up to.

Having purchased a couple of ATmega644P chips, I thought I'd try to get one of the new ones installed and upload the firmware to it.

I've been following the guide [reprap.org] that was mentioned earlier in the post. Not have any luck indicating a good connection.
October 29, 2011 01:20AM
IIRC, you only need dapa to burn the bootloader & change fuses. You use avrdude to do this. I guess the thing to check a few times if avrdude doesn't work would be the right pins are connected on the DB25. Remember they are numbered kind of funny depending on what way you look at the connector.

If hes already put the bootloader on, like he claims, just plug it in via usb. If it doesnt pop up in your device manager then your FTDI chip is broken. If it does, then use the Arduino gui software to compile and load up Sprinter.

but if he said hes been controlling steppers, I guess he would have already had to have some firmware loaded, practically speaking? So, perhaps something got broken in the mail? I would suggest a more methodical troubleshooting approach might serve you better.
November 01, 2011 12:18AM
Oh the excitement!

An Arduino I ordered came in today, so I quickly created an ArduinoISP and plugged in one of the new ATmega644P chips. Loaded the bootloader, success! Moved the chip over to the Sanguinololu, loaded Sprinter. Success again!

So now I can actually make Printer Interface (Pronterface?) move the axis. So cool.

Next problem...

Seems the end stops are reversed or something. If I press home, some of the axis go the opposite direction to the end stops I installed. How do I fix this?

Note:
Y axis works great.
X axis goes away from end stop.
Z axis goes the right way, but wants to drive through the endstop a bit before stopping.
Extruder does not move.

Both heater circuits working great.
Thanks all,
Mike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 01:18AM by mmadore.
November 01, 2011 09:18AM
You can invert the endstops in the firmware, then reload your chip. Or you can move your end stops, which if they aren't opto's is the easier option.
November 01, 2011 09:19AM
And for the extruder, swap that motor with another one (in the wiring, like y or x axis) to check it isn't the motor. I think the extruder can't be manually moved in ponterface, but during prints works. Vague recollection.
November 02, 2011 05:43PM
So far so good. I swapped the extruder motor wiring for the Z axis wiring and jogged the extruder no problems. So the extruder motor is functional. I moved the end stop for the X axis to the other end and now Y and X home properly.

The only problem left is the Z axis. If I jog Z +10 it moves towards the end stop. If I jog Z with a -10 it does nothing. If I home the Z axis it moves toward the end stop and tries to go right through it. Or it does nothing. I've double checked the stop switch wires, continuity, no problems.
November 02, 2011 10:56PM
Looks like two Pololu's died while testing the setup. I reversed the connections for the Z axis motors, then swapped the Y and Z axis Pololus, and voila! Z axis now works and goes to home gently. Now of course the Y axis isn't working. Swapped the pololu's again and Y works, Z doesn't. I suspect that the Extruder motor leads need to be swapped as well.

I'll test that next.
November 04, 2011 04:51PM
Thanks for all the help.

I inserted new Pololu boards, and all is well. Printed off a couple of handy spool holder clamps.

Once I've had a chance to have fun with the printer for a bit, I'll create a new post summarizing errors and fixes that worked so others can learn from my mistakes.

Thanks again,
Mike
November 06, 2011 06:11PM
blob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you know what state the fuses are in? Normally
> they are set when the bootloader is written but
> maybe he didnt do that?

I'm having the same problem, as I have loaded my bootloader with AVR studio (as I couldn't get Arduino to work).

I think the fuses are not set properly but can't find anywhere what they should be?

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Using this website: [frank.circleofcurrent.com]

Went back to AVR Studio and set the fuses to match what was listed in the "boards.txt" Sanguino file.

After doing this it still didn't work, it kept saying couldn't find interface arduino (which I had set in "boards.txt", sanguino.upload.protocol=arduino)

So I tried sanguino.upload.protocol=bootloader, and it couldn't find that either. So I set it back to "sanguino.upload.protocol=stk500" and IT WORKED! omg I was so happy.

Upload complete, I then used pronterface/printrun to connect and it did, so I guess that's the best confirmation until I get Pololu's to plug in and run steppers.

Hope this helps other people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2011 01:13AM by korban.
March 11, 2012 08:17PM
marnargulus, did you ever solve your problem? I'm dealing with a similar issue now and would love to hear the outcome of your saga.
November 03, 2012 12:16PM
marnargulus
I've never heard of anyone in Ubuntu (or linux in general) that could get the 644P to work with a Arduino (even to upload a sketch, post bootloader), a few mentions of windows machines working though.

I've finally managed to program my Gen3 remix (Sanguino W/ATmega 644P) from Ubuntu 12.04. I downloaded arduino-0023 and Sanguino-0023r4, unpacked as described, and it just wouldn't work. After messing around quite a lot, I changed this in hardware/sanguino/boards.txt:

# atmega644.upload.speed=57600
atmega644.upload.speed=38400

Then it worked fine first time I tried!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login