Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Sanguinololu, issues galore

Posted by mmallin 
New Sanguinololu, issues galore
December 08, 2011 11:01PM
Hello,

I've built a new Sanguinololu 1.3a board and I keep having issues with it. Currently, I am having problems connecting to any of the host software on Ubuntu 11.10 x86. The /dev/ttyUSB0 device shows up, but the three (Reprap Host, Pronterface/Printrun and RepStrapper) all hang on communications.

1) Reprap host software keeps sending the message containing M105 *3.
2) Printrun starts comms, and then after a while it prints some garbage (unintelligible characters) to screen, and has an exception in the serial library.
3) RepStrapper attempts to connect and hangs after a bit.

I have a feeling this has to do with the board / FTDI chip as I've been having issues with attempting to load programs onto it. I ended up loading Sprinter (115200 baud setting) onto the sanguino with a parallel cable. When the bootloader was on the chip, an added debug led blinked multiple times when power was given to the board, and only once when the reset button was pressed (code seemed to run). When I attempted to load Sprinter (using the bootloader), the debug led blinked rapidly, and then was constantly on as if the chip crashed (left it alone for a few minutes to be sure).

Things I've tried:
- Reflashing the FTDI chip using the arduino FTDI page (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/FTDI)
- Reflashing the bootloader and Sprinter multiple times (Using DAPA and avrdude - flashes correctly according to avrdude)
- Reburning the fuses according to the Sanguino boards.txt file.
- Rechecking solder joints. All are good.

Anyone have some ideas as to what I can do to test the board to find where the problem is?

Thanks,
Mike.
Re: New Sanguinololu, issues galore
December 09, 2011 05:51AM

1) Reprap host software keeps sending the message containing M105 *3.

That's expected.

2) Printrun starts comms, and then after a while it prints some garbage (unintelligible characters) to screen, and has an exception in the serial library.

Sounds like a baud rate mismatch. I'd try with a simple test firmware which prints text to the serial connection on it's own. All the examples coming with the Arduino IDE can be used on a RepRap electronics as well.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 10, 2011 10:54AM
I just tried the HelloWorld example at 9600baud (loaded with dapa/avrdude). I used jpnevulator to read the device (jpnevulator --ascii --tty /dev/ttyUSB0confused smileyB9600d --read) and there is nothing. I have also tried with HyperTerminal on windows 7 x64 (9600:8:N:1:N) and got gibberish. Could this be a bad FTDI chip?
December 10, 2011 12:15PM
Just found instructions for testing the FTDI chip. (http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1243607033 - Reply #5). It seems to be working ok. So, I can program the Sanguino with the parallel port cable, and the FTDI chip works.

Any ideas?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login