Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Firmware upload problem: SOLVED

Posted by ifrisbie 
Firmware upload problem: SOLVED
March 10, 2012 03:39PM
Hi Everyone,

I have my bootloader instaled (using usbasp) on my v1.3 board and am trying to use arguino to upload firmware.

I've tried uploading on both my XP machine and my macbook and on both systems the com ports are recognized no problem. On my MAC I see this:

Binary sketch size: 18450 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

On my XP machine I see this:

Binary sketch size: 18450 bytes (of a 63488 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I'm a noob, I'll put that out there. I did test the COM while building the board after the SMT chip was installed with components and everything checked out ok using putty (TX/RX loopback). I also checked continutity between the chip and the pins on my ATmega644P on RX/TX which were good. ATmega has power.

Does anyone know what I should do next? Can I hook up putty direct and get anything useful diagnostically talking straight to the boot-loader software (any commands, or expected output upon reset, etc - or is the bootloader completely silent)? Not sure how to diagnose this going forward. Can I assume that its not a problem having my external power supply connected with the USB connected at the same time? Is the external supply even needed to perform an upload (I'm assuming its not, but just verifying).

Any advise would be appreciated. Dead in the water ATM.

Ian

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2012 08:32PM by ifrisbie.
Re: Firmware upload problem
March 11, 2012 08:02PM
A fellow group member pointed out that I was missing the auto-rst jumper. I corrected this problem but I'm still in the same boat. Any advice appreciated.
Re: Firmware upload problem
March 12, 2012 10:41PM
I modified my boot loader to echo characters I type in putty, so I can confirm that the bootloader is working and so is the serial port.

The protocol is stk500. I saw a reference to someone questioning this so I tried changing it to stk500v2. In doing this I didn't get the error, but it basically hung forever never completing (seemingly doing nothing).

It does appear that somehow the upload protocol is out of sync with my bootloader, but difficult to say in what way. All board.txt files I've seen people have indicate stk500 as protocol. I'm using sanguino 23r3 and arduino_23. Any known version conflicts?

Bueller?
Re: Firmware upload problem: SOLVED
March 13, 2012 08:38PM
Well, it turns out that the v23r3 sanguino bootloader is not compatible with the arguino 0023 build upload. If I go back to 0018 and the 18r4 and replace the bootloader - I can successfully upload. Has anyone ever tried the 0023 with the 23r3 sanguino?

If anyone else has upload troubles I know there is a warning out there already about the latest Arduino build - but please also note that build 0023 is not working in tandem with 23r3 sanguino either. 0018 is good
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login