Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Strange motor movement - Sanguinololu

Posted by Ej 
Ej
Strange motor movement - Sanguinololu
July 10, 2012 08:11PM
Hey all,

I got a problem: after setting up my rig (Prusa Mendel, sanguinololu with stepsticks, atx power supply, sprinter firmware) I loaded up pronterface to do some calibration. Everything worked fine after a few adjustments to the configurations.h, all accept the x axis. It moves only one direction, to the left, when I press both x- and x+ , both move to the left.

After a bit of troubleshooting, I swapped cables and it did it on the other motor, swapped drivers and it still did it on the x axis. This seems to point to the board, so I consulted the schematic and traced the x-direction pin for the driver to the corresponding pin on the atmega644. My meter says the continuity between them is sound. So I'm figuring its a bad atmega644. I double checked all my solder joints.

Did I miss something? Is there a way to test the pin on the chip before replacing it? Any advice?

It's very frustrationing to come so close and hit a wall that involves ordering another part and waiting a few more days.
Re: Strange motor movement - Sanguinololu
July 10, 2012 09:31PM
I know how you feel - I recently had a rather major incident with my board so that I am having to replace most of the semiconductors.

Unfortunately, I am not very good at configuring firmware, but I can try anyway:

Check the Configurations.h file again for any mistyped or wrong options.

If you can, reinstall the firmware.

If none of these turn anything up, it would probably be best to just order a new one. Be sure to check Ebay (if you aren't using it already) in case there are any cheaper options available.

-SC

P.S. Also try testing or replacing the X-axis stepper driver with another one that you know works.
July 11, 2012 04:27AM
As well as checking for continuity you also need to check for shorts.

You can test the atmega by inserting it in the socket with that pin bent out and then measure the voltage on it when moving + and -.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Ej
July 11, 2012 09:37AM
thanks for the help.

does anyone know if there is an unused pin i can reassign as the xdirection in hte pin assignments?
July 11, 2012 10:36AM
There are spare pins connected to the expansion connector that you could use. Have a look at the schematic.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Ej
Re: Strange motor movement - - solved
July 11, 2012 03:27PM
well, borrowed an used pin (D17) and connected it to the D21 pin socket after bending the D21 up out of the way, reassigned D17 to x direction and it works. I finally have both directions on the x axis. this will have to be a temporary fix until i can replace the chip.

thanks for the help.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2012 03:45PM by Ej.
astrolabb
September 02, 2012 05:42PM
thanks for your last comment.

I have the same problem and you help me to found a temporary solution.
Ej
September 02, 2012 06:12PM
No problem.

Have you seen this: [forums.reprap.org]
astrolabb
September 03, 2012 07:09PM
this evening i love you !!!!!!smiling smiley

but i don't understand how to modify JTAG

can you explain me, please ? (for a noob....)
Ej
September 03, 2012 08:51PM
Sorry, I haven't tried it yet. Still using my work around, and dealing other problems.

I'll look into and maybe try soon. As a fellow noob, we're all in this together.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login