Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sanguinololu 5th motor axis / dual extruder upgrade

Posted by kkronyak 
Sanguinololu 5th motor axis / dual extruder upgrade
October 15, 2012 12:11PM
I have been looking into the possibility of adding a dual extruder option to the Sanguinololu board. I am a backer of the Eventorbot kickstarter which uses Sanguinololu 1.3A. There was some interest in using dual extruder and the hot end bracket was designed to support 2 hot ends so I think some people might appreciate being able to take advantage of it.

I have designed an adapter board which should allow the addition of a 5th axis Pololu as well as a thermistor and hot end mosfet. I also analyzed the design of the SDSL and SWA (bluetooh / SD adapters) and designed a pass-through port which should allow the 5th axis board to work along with these add-on boards.

I am going to make a small run of these boards so I can have my own and possibly sell the remainder at a minimal cost to others who are interested. I also intend on making the board design open source and seeing what can be done about adding an option to the various firmware packages to accommodate this.

I am curious if anyone has feedback or thoughts about this idea? Also I don't know where the best place would be to post the design files (I designed the board using Eagle with some components borrowed directly from the Sanguinololu design for consistency).
Re: Sanguinololu 5th motor axis / dual extruder upgrade
October 15, 2012 06:25PM
Where to drop design files depends a bit on your plans.

If it's just a one-off, you can drop that here.

If you plan to support your users you should at least write a wiki page, explaining things and setup procedures a bit.

If you plan to continue development, Github is an often used choice, in addition to the wiki page.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

October 17, 2012 06:04PM
I have posted an article for my design called SLUM (Sanguinololu Upgrade Module) on the wiki, including the source files. The design is very simple and I don't see it changing much so I think GITHUB would be overkill.

The design is very simple and just takes advantage of the pins exposed on the expansion header. I thought about making a more intelligent device powered by a AVR MiniAVR series and using digital communications but I wanted to keep it as simple and low-cost as possible and I think this design achieves that goal.

I have a small prototype run (32 units) on the way and will probably sell some on the forums if anyone is interested.

Once I have my 3d printer on hand I will be able to test out the firmware modifications. I am also sending a prototype unit to the designer of the printer (Eventorbot) so he can test it on his prototype printer. As far as I can tell it's just a matter of adding a board configuration entry to Marlin, although the PWM fan speed control feature will probably require a few small changes to the firmware if we want to get that fully working (turning the fan on and off should be fine though)

[www.reprap.org]
Hi kkronyak, I'm very interested in our dual extruder upgrade, how's the job? Can you make a prediction on the development of firmware?
Do you still have some cards that you can sell?
Thank you
smiling smiley
November 19, 2012 11:53PM
This is something I would be interested in as well. I would even be willing to look into firmware support as a Marlin user. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login