Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

making connections to sanguinololu

Posted by fahraynk 
making connections to sanguinololu
December 02, 2012 05:39PM
Hi. I have a sanguinololu and I have some questions about making connections to it. How do you actually connect to it ? I have some 2 and 4 pin moled housing, but they dont actually stay on they just fall right off so I think im missing something. How do I make the molex housing stay connected to the sanguinololu ? (if im even supposed to connect it with molex housing)

the other question is I have a resistor/thermistor and they both have 2 wires for + and -, but the sanguino has 4 metal prongs to connect them, so which 2 do I use, the outside 2 or middle 2, and is it the same for both thermistor and resistor connectors ? Also, whats the purpose of 4 connectors and not 2 ?
Re: making connections to sanguinololu
December 02, 2012 07:17PM
You need to crimp or solder the contacts onto the wires and then insert them into the housings. It is the spring contacts that grip the pins on the header and hold the housing in place.

The connectors for the heated bed and the hot end heater both have two pins for each signal. Pins 1 & 2 are connected together and so are 3 & 4. They are doubled up because the connectors are not rated for the current needed. With most hot ends you can just use two pins but for the heated bed you must use all 4. Even then it is underrated. The best way to connect the bed is to connect one wired direct to the PSU +12V and the other to the tab of the MOSFET with a ring terminal.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2012 10:15AM
thanks for your response.

not clear to me what you mean though. I put crimps on the wires coming from thermistor/resistor, then I put those crimped wires into the housings. so the question is how do I get the housings to stay attached to the sanguinololu pins.. do I have to put more crimps on the sangui pins ? (because the housings fall off of the pins)

also thanks for that, I only have to use the 2 middle or 2 ends to power thermistor/resistor. I get that now.
December 03, 2012 11:30AM
The contacts should grip the pins. If they don't then they must be the wrong type of contacts or housings.

You don't "power" the thermistor, it connects to its own 2 pin header at the opposite end of the board.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 03, 2012 11:23PM
do you know what the name of the housings im supposed to get are called ? ...or better where I can go to learn about all the different types/sizes of housings so that I never have to ask anyone this question again ?
December 04, 2012 07:37AM
These are from the Molex KK100 series, ideally the type with friction ramp. Many compatible clones exist.

For sources you can look into the Gen7 wiki page: [reprap.org] . Instead of Gen7's Molex KK156 (a bigger series) for the heaters, Sanguinololu uses the same connectors as for the motors. Motor connectors on Sanguinololu and Gen7 are the same.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 08, 2012 04:37PM
Ive been googling "kk100 series molex" but having trouble finding some. Know where I can buy these ? even searching on molex.com for kk100 shows no results.
December 09, 2012 05:59AM
If you refuse to click on the links on the Gen7 wiki page, I can't help, sorry.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

December 14, 2012 11:48AM
oh thanks did not see that msg :-/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login