Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Getting motors to work

Posted by Austin Walter 
Getting motors to work
August 13, 2011 07:10AM
So I couldn't figure out how to get pronterface to work, so I switched to ReplicatorG (Replicat.org) which works... kind of. I managed to get the Z axis to respond to pressing the jog the axis button, but it seems to have stopped working, or at best really finicky. The other ones have not responded. However, I see this as a good sign, since it means I at least kind of know where the problem is coming from. Either it's the drivers or the cables. However, I've tested the cable connecting the sanguino to the Z driver, and it seems to be fine. I'm trying to debug the drivers, but haven't come up with anything yet. Any ideas?

Austin
Re: Getting motors to work
August 14, 2011 05:49PM
Pronterface runs just fine if you follow the instructions laid out in the read me file. Install Python and then all of the addon packs in the order listed, then double click the pronterface python script and it will run fine. [github.com]

Kliment
This is a python-based host software for reprap printers, in various forms.

Printrun consists of printcore, pronsole and pronterface, and a small collection of helpful scripts.

printcore.py is a library that makes writing reprap hosts easy
pronsole.py is an interactive command-line host software with tabcompletion goodness
pronterface.py is a graphical host software with the same functionality as pronsole
INSTALLING DEPENDENCIES

On Windows, download the following, and install in this order:
[python.org]
[pypi.python.org]
[downloads.sourceforge.net]
[launchpad.net]

On Ubuntu/debian, do:
sudo apt-get install python-serial python-wxgtk2.8

On Fedora 15 do:
sudo yum install pyserial wxpython

On Mac OS X, download and install:
[downloads.sourceforge.net]
Grab the source for pyserial from [pypi.python.org]
Unzip pyserial to a folder. Then, in a terminal, change to the folder you unzipped to, then type in:
defaults write com.apple.versioner.python Prefer-32-Bit -bool yes
sudo python setup.py install

Alternatively, you can run python in 32 bit mode by setting the following environment variable before running the setup.py command:
export VERSIONER_PYTHON_PREFER_32_BIT=yes

Then repeat the same with [launchpad.net]

USING PRONTERFACE

To use pronterface, you need:
python (ideally 2.6.x or 2.7.x),
pyserial (or python-serial on ubuntu/debian),
pyreadline (not needed on Linux) and
wxPython

Download and install the above, and start pronterface.py
Select the port name you are using from the first drop-down, select your baud rate, and hit connect.
Load an STL (see the note on skeinforge below) or GCODE file, and you can upload it to SD or print it directly.
The "monitor printer" function, when enabled, checks the printer state (temperatures, SD print progress) every 3 seconds.
The command box recognizes all pronsole commands, but has no tabcompletion.

If you want to load stl files, you need to put a version of skeinforge (doesn't matter which one) in a folder called "skeinforge".
The "skeinforge" folder must be in the same folder as pronterface.py

USING PRONSOLE

To use pronsole, you need:
python (ideally 2.6.x or 2.7.x),
pyserial (or python-serial on ubuntu/debian) and
pyreadline (not needed on Linux)

Start pronsole and you will be greeted with a command prompt. Type help to view the available commands.
All commands have internal help, which you can access by typing "help commandname", for example "help connect"

If you want to load stl files, you need to put a version of skeinforge (doesn't matter which one) in a folder called "skeinforge".
The "skeinforge" folder must be in the same folder as pronsole.py

USING PRINTCORE:

To use printcore you need python (ideally 2.6.x or 2.7.x) and pyserial (or python-serial on ubuntu/debian)
See pronsole for an example of a full-featured host, the bottom of printcore.py for a simple command-line
sender, or the following code example:

p=printcore('/dev/ttyUSB0',115200)
p.startprint(data) # data is an array of gcode lines
p.send_now("M105") # sends M105 as soon as possible
p.pause()
p.resume()
p.disconnect()

Charles Gantt.
Build blog [themakersworkbench.com] <---- my personal site
Build worklong [www.thebestcasescenario.com]
August 15, 2011 12:15AM
That wasn't the issue. I posted a different thread a while ago about my issues with pronterface here. I couldn't figure it out so I switched to ReplicatorG, but have been having issues getting it to work also.

Austin
August 15, 2011 11:35AM
The usual thing: Which G-code is sent, which electronics do you have, which firmware do you try, _what_ isuues do you have.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

August 15, 2011 06:58PM
I have a Sanguino hooked up to to pololu drivers, using sprinter firmware, not trying to send G-code yet, just trying to jog each axis. The Z-axis responds sometimes, but the other ones don't.
August 15, 2011 07:15PM
Have you adjusted the pots on each pololu module?

Charles Gantt.
Build blog [themakersworkbench.com] <---- my personal site
Build worklong [www.thebestcasescenario.com]
August 15, 2011 08:23PM
I've been trying to, but it hasn't seemed to effect it either way.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login