Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UK - A step too far ?

Posted by 2step 
UK - A step too far ?
February 13, 2012 05:52AM
Hi, Guy`s,

I`m looking to build a joystick controlled CCTV pan & tilt unit without the need of a computer. With that in mind I bought some parts, all in one bundle, and mainly for the stepper motors, on ebay and wonder if it is possible to achieve my goal using only these (which I doubt), or would I need additional parts?

The ebay items, which were knocked-up by B.I.C. Electronics, England, were part of a film viewing/editing setup and is not complete.

There are 3 stepper motors, all the same, as in the photo - Two have a 15-pin connector and the other, 25-pin. There are also 4 Airpax 12 vdc motors which were made in Holland.

The lens I am using weighs just over a kilo, so with camera attached, it should work out less than 2.5k and these motors appear adequate.

There is probably a lot easier way and I would appreciate any help, or advise, you can give me.

Cheers

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unit1 - Front panel:

Has `FILM SPOOLS` printed on it and under that, two switches, one marked `TOP LOAD` - `BOTTOM LOAD`, the other `OFF - ON`, there is also an ON/OFF mains switch.

Rear panel has two leads marked `PRINTER` and `VIEWER`, also two 15-pin connectors marked `WINDER` and `CONTROLLER`. When I connect the joystick to `CONTROLLER` and one of the stepper motors to `WINDER` it goes through all the motions ie. fast, slow, forward, reverse, and speeds in-between depending on position of joystick. When pressed, two buttons on joystick unit (PAGE BACK/PAGE FWD) run the motor for a short/fixed time.

Inside are two boards, one on top of the other:
Top board has 4 relays and is marked: 930601-01-4 MOD1 and 930601-14-4 ISS 1 Side2
Bottom board is marked: RS 332 - 098 4-Phase unipolar stepper motor drive board

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unit2 - Front panel:

(See photo) Two switches marked TOP LOAD/BOTTOM LOAD and SPOOLS OFF/SPOOLS ON. I haven`t any leads to test this unit but when switched on the `WATCHDOG` LED if flickering as though in readiness.

Inside there is the main board marked B.I.C. 970400 - 14 - 4 ISS-3 SERIAL NO. 97 ... (custom made?). There is also a seperate board marked `RS 240 - 7920` (4-Phase unipolar stepper motor drive board ?).

The rear panel has on/off switch, 15-pin, 25-pin, 9-pin female connectors and 2 DIN connectors , 5 and 7 pin.

---------------------------------------------------------

Stepper motors - 8 wires:

25-pin and 15-pin stepper motor connector has 10 wires attached, although 2 black wires have been cut toward the motor end.

Joystick:

RS 162-732 - 2 axis joystick carbon pot,10K linear
Attachments:
open | download - Unit1 - Front view.jpg (159.7 KB)
open | download - Unit 1 - Top board.JPG (121 KB)
open | download - Unit1 - Bottom board RS 332-098 4 Phase uni stepper motor drive board.jpg (176.4 KB)
open | download - Unit2 - Front view.jpg (156 KB)
open | download - Unit2 - RS Unipolar stepper motor drive board - 2 amp.jpg (175.3 KB)
open | download - Unit2 - photo1.jpg (174.7 KB)
open | download - Rear view of Unit1- Top & Unit2 - Bottom.jpg (162.5 KB)
open | download - Stepper motors.jpg (154.2 KB)
open | download - RS 162-732 - 2 axis joystick carbon pot,10K linear.JPG (126.8 KB)
Re: UK - A step too far ?
March 23, 2012 07:23PM
You definitely can do that without a computer, though you almost certainly need a microcontroller, say, Arduino-based.

That aside, this is rather strange choice of motors. You clearly should be looking for servo motors, which are much simplier to control from an MCU.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login