Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would missed steps offset zeroed home position?

Posted by Dirty Steve 
Would missed steps offset zeroed home position?
August 30, 2012 10:16AM
I'm troublshooting a 4 axis TB6560 setup.

I am running a code that is 50 concentric circles that have an increasing diameter of 2 mm.

When running the gcode, the y axis dropping a step in each circle, which i can see as the motors turn, and there is a flat spot created in the circles.

Shouldn't dropped steps offset the zeroed home position after a code run? Machine always comes back to the correct 0,0,0 position after several code runs.
Re: Would missed steps offset zeroed home position?
August 30, 2012 10:28AM
Are you issuing a G1 X0 Y0 Z0 command or a G28 X Y Z homing command?
The first one uses the assumed position the second drives to the end stop.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 30, 2012 10:59AM
Using G1 X0 Y0 Z0. I'm running soft limits, have not set up home switches yet.

I would think that if I'm running gcode with 100 circles, and each circle drops a step, at the end of the run, my y axis should be off from 0 position by 100 steps, but it's not.
August 30, 2012 11:17AM
Is the flat spot at the maximum y position?
If yes then you may have your y max too low in your firmware.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
August 30, 2012 12:39PM
A TB6560 board does not have firmware. Here are a couple of pics of what I'm getting durring a code run.

I know there is some backlash going on as well, but the missed steps are being addressed first. Doesn't seem to miss steps when manually jogging axis, or manual position input. Bad gcode maybe, going to test some other gcode software.

I'm thinking it may be my microstep settings or decay mode settings. Need to test some more settings.

Not completely sure what is happening, the start/end points of the circles seem to line up correctly. (except for the backlash more noticable in smallest circles)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2012 02:41PM by Dirty Steve.
Resolved!
August 30, 2012 11:10PM
I took apart my y-axis motor and gave it a good cleaning. Now working properly. I got my steppers used on ebay and had taken them all apart, cleaned and re-assembled them. There must have been debris in there of some kind. Didn't see anything, but it works!

Thanks for the help!!

hopefully i'll get my hot end bits in the mail soon!
September 03, 2012 10:08AM
You are actually extruding plastic for those tests ? If you don't have a specific reason, you might as well attach a pen to the head instead.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login