Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sourcing dc, ac, and bldc motors

Posted by Annirak 
Sourcing dc, ac, and bldc motors
September 25, 2013 05:20AM
I've heard countless claims that DC motors are less expensive than stepper motors, likewise that bldc are cheaper still. What I haven't been able to find is a source for these rumoured cheap motors. I'm looking for a DC, AC, or BLDC motor with a torque/speed product equivalent to our favourite steppers. Say, 4000g.cm at 60rpm. The problem I've found is that all the cheap, hobby BLDC motors are intended for use in RC cars, airplanes or helicopters. They don't come with torque specs, only speed ratings.

I have found some industrial BLDC motors, but they're expensive ($30 to start) and they're not particularly torquey. But even ignoring the torque, they're supposed to be cheaper than steppers, so this doesn't help.

Does anyone know where I can find a cheap, torquey BLDC, AC induction motor or DC motor?
Re: Sourcing dc, ac, and bldc motors
September 25, 2013 07:12AM
My impression is that bldcis more efficient at light loads, hence applications like airplanes and helicopters their high efficiency makes them mandatory when operating on battery. On the other hand at seizable or normal loads, they are pretty much comparable or same performance with brushed motors, but still with much more complications to operate them, therefore are unnecessary complication for this "normal" load area.
September 25, 2013 09:28AM
I know that bldc is complex to drive. That's not my concern; I'm trying to find low cost, light weight, high torque motors. A team order, I know. But ACIM, BLDC, and DC motors are supposed to be simpler and lower cost than steppers, so I'm hoping that I'm just looking in the wrong place.
September 28, 2013 10:46AM
Also, it seems that a 2-phase bldc and a stepper are functionally equivalent. The stepper just has more steps and is intended to run open loop, where bldc is intended to run closed loop.

Perhaps I should focus on dc motors with printed gear boxes.
January 03, 2014 08:45AM
Brushless DC Motor Control Made Easy
[www.gearboxis.com]
January 04, 2014 12:21AM
I wanted to say smth like "holy ressurection thread" coz wth, i think i remember this thread and it was approx 2-3 years old or so, anyway not this year - so why does it show the dates of 2013. I think something must be wrong with the database dates, maybe smth has been repaired and few dates got changed in the process.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login