Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this motor a good investment?

Posted by alex_mp 
Is this motor a good investment?
April 06, 2013 11:31PM
Hi,

I did try to recycle used motors not taking too seriously the resistance (4.7 ohms per coil) and just connected them to my 4988 drivers using 12V. The result is burning hot motors that after a few minutes start skipping steps.

After looking around on Ebay, I saw these Nema 17, 70 oz-in torque, 30 ohms per coil and 0.4A@12V motors for around $16 USD/ each. The questions are: are they good motors? Will they still get hot and skip steps?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

[:RTQ:US:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">cgi.ebay.com]

FYI - I have a prusa mendel with linear bearings, wade's extruder and Budasnozzle 1.2 hot end.
Re: Is this motor a good investment?
April 07, 2013 03:58AM
no the inductance is too high they may be torquey but they wont be able to spin very fast. look for something with less than 10mh of inductance.
April 08, 2013 08:05PM
Thank you for the response. Any recommendation?
April 08, 2013 11:21PM
what about these? Will they still get hot?

[www.ebay.com]
April 18, 2013 04:22PM
those have too many amps, they should be between 0.5 and 1.5, sorry for the delayed response. although qu-bd cannot make a decent hot end, they do have very good motors, [store.qu-bd.com]. they are out of stock, but they are fairly good. also you may want to try adjusting the stepper drivers, you probably have them set too high.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login