Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can someone make me the cheapest printer for my department for Free?

Posted by MuzzaHukka 
Can someone make me the cheapest printer for my department for Free?
June 22, 2011 12:29PM
Hi,

I'm Ivan and I'm 12. My DT Teacher and the whole DT department need a 3D Printer. We are currently selling items but we don't have enough profit to buy us a kit. Please, If someone could please send me a kit. I would like every part but the Motherboard. I can currently make a 1.2 Motherboard using the equipment used at the school or order one to be manufactured. I live in UK. The address of my school is;
Caterham High School
Caterham Avenue
Ilford, IG5 0QW
London, United Kingdom

Please, I beg you! Can anyone make me a kit. I will make you something in return using materials. I don't mind how old the equipment is, I may donate it to anyone after I do my project. I will make you a newer printer using schools plastics and resources

HAVE A NICE DAY AND GOD BLESS YOU!
Re: Can someone make me the cheapest printer for my department for Free?
June 22, 2011 08:20PM
This might be a good request for the loaner program. [reprap.org]
June 25, 2011 10:16AM
I signed up for it. Could you donate me one? Also, what's the strongest plastic for making a Mendel Prusa with? I woould like Glow in the Dark Green. Also, you can email me here ([email protected] if links don't work)
June 26, 2011 08:52AM
By Motherboard 1.2 you do mean Ramps 1.2 Right?

What part do you need donated? EVERYTHING but the electronics?

repraplogphase.blogspot.com
June 27, 2011 12:18PM
I don't want to rain on your parade, but if you want someone to donate a set of plastic to your group, don't ask for the most expensive plastic available. I do remember vaguely what it was like to be an enthusiastic young man, so I sympathize a bit but glow in the dark plastic is at least twice as expensive as any other plastic.

Secondly, it may be asking a bit much for someone to put together a complete kit for you. I think you ought to start spending your fundraising money on threaded rod and nuts and bolts etc. and see how far it goes. That stuff is pretty cheap.

The current cheapest set of plastic parts are the resin cast clonedel parts. Would those be acceptable? They are only $50, so even if you can't find a donor you should be able to raise that much. Once you have a frame built up and have electronics built you might get a better response.

At least for me I would far rather donate to a group that says "We have etched and built our electronics board and have it programmed. We have done fundraisers and bought all the threaded rod/nuts/bolts and clonedel plastic parts. Here is a picture of our bot so far. Now we need some motors and a hot end. Can anyone help with that?"

Rather than "We really need a printer, can someone give us everything we need?" It makes one wonder how much work you have really done and if you are serious enough to actually build and calibrate a printer. Getting the printer running will be a much bigger task than fundraising for a hundred some odd dollars for clonedel parts and threaded rod.

Now as for me donating, I am actually thinking seriously about getting a couple sets of plastic parts together for the loaner program. The vertices would be cut from composite decking boards rather than printed from plastic. And it would take me a while to print the rest of the parts as I don't run 24x7 like some people. I'll let you know when I have a set available if you haven't already got parts by then.

I hope I haven't dampened your enthusiasm. I think this is a great hobby with a lot of great people working to help others get started.
June 28, 2011 09:34AM
Ivan,

Have you considered starting with a WolfStrap or a 1X2? These are wood based machines designed to be build with tools that your DT Teacher/Department likely have around.

Following on from bryanandaimee's post I'd suggest looking at ScrewFix for the threaded rods and such bits as they are UK based.

Good Luck

- Alan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login