Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Look what I made....Sarrus Z linkage

Posted by fdavies 
Look what I made....Sarrus Z linkage
February 24, 2010 10:37PM
Here is a picture of something interesting that I have designed. It is an attempt at a mostly printable Z axis. I have stl and aoi files to go with it, as well as ruminations on how to improve it. Now, how do I put it all on the wiki?

fdavies
Attachments:
open | download - DSC03294_small.jpg (151.2 KB)
Re: Look what I made....Sarrus Z linkage
February 24, 2010 11:16PM
fdavies, I've created a wiki page for you here:
[objects.reprap.org]

Please log in, then click:

Image: Sarrus Z Linkage.jpg
then upload, and so on.

The page has a lot of "wiki scaffolding", example text and wiki tools you can make use of. Or delete, if they aren't necessary.

After the first wiki page, it's quite easy to do the next few.

But I'm very keen to make it as easy and seamless as possible. grinning smiley

Thank you for using RepRap wiki!

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 24, 2010 11:33PM
Also, aside from the technical how-to-use-the_wiki stuff, that's a very nice bit of work.

I've been looking forward to seeing your project up in the wiki for some time now, but that working on necessary wiki infrastructure took priority to contacting folk.

Do you think you'll throw your hat in the ring for the Gada Prize?
February 25, 2010 09:33PM
Well, I have done a page for the Z01. It was not as hard as I thought. I have some other ideas for pages, too, (like a description of my repstrap) but am not ready to ask for stubs for them yet.

Do we ask you for new pages?

My life is too complicated right now to try for the Gada prize. If my Sarrus work ends up in the winner, I would be extremely pleased.

The reason I posted this is because you reminded me that reprap.org is a community that I have gotten a lot from. Thingiverse is seductively easy to use, but is not a community like this place. Thank you for reminding me, and hopefully others, of that.

fdavies
February 25, 2010 10:32PM
So why is the end that holds the nut on a flexural mount? Why isn't it a continous plastic piece?
February 26, 2010 05:17AM
Do we ask you for new pages?

Nope. You have complete freedom and power to create new pages for RepRaps, RepStraps, RepRapped objects, and ... anything* really.

I tend to create them for folk who mention their projects in the forum, because people are not yet in the practice of new-wikipage-then-post-in-forum. It's a RepRap user-developer education thing. (Most users don't realize they're actually developers.)

I'll be coding a wiki-tool: a "New Project" button soon. And installing Mediawiki social networking stuff, etc. Also learning php, virtual machines on my linux box, bootstrapping beginning sysadmin skills, etc.

If my Sarrus work ends up in the winner,
Then that winner is going to cite your work or get nailed to the wall by me as part of our very generous Full Documentation Policy (proposed)
[objects.reprap.org]

We'll let the Foresight institute sort out the details, but I can't imagine that they'd cut a check to someone who cut-and-paste your contributions while not disbursing money to you as well. I'm not on the prize committee or doing any admin stuff for the Gada prize besides setting up the RepRap wiki page for it, but I imagine that's how they'll operate.

The reason I posted this is because you reminded me that reprap.org is a community that I have gotten a lot from. Thingiverse is seductively easy to use, but is not a community like this place. Thank you for reminding me, and hopefully others, of that.

Your wiki pages are the best thanks I can wish for. smiling smiley

* [objects.reprap.org]

Cheers,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 05:21AM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
February 26, 2010 07:58AM
Gene Hacker:

My 10-32 rod (not shown, since it is serving in the prototype of the next revision) is not perfect. Its connection to the bearing is not perfect; The nuts that hold it on the bearing put the rod at a slight angle to the axis of the bearing. That makes the rod exert sideways forces on the nut in the flexure. It tries to wiggle the nut sideways. This is only opposed by the stiffness of the hinge plates. I put in the flexure to try to take up some of this wiggle so the whole top plate would not wiggle. I had limited success.

Now, you ask, why not work hard on improving the mechanical quality of the bearing, rod, etc? Well, I would like to have a mechanism which can put up with standard quality parts and does not require high precision ones.

fdavies
February 26, 2010 12:41PM

We'll let the Foresight institute sort out the details, but I can't imagine that they'd cut a check to someone who cut-and-paste your contributions while not disbursing money to you as well. I'm not on the prize committee or doing any admin stuff for the Gada prize besides setting up the RepRap wiki page for it, but I imagine that's how they'll operate.

This really needs spelling out in the entry rules. I just don't see how it can work as RepRap is a sort of hive mind development, how do you award a prize to someone that puts together a collection of other people's ideas? Given that you have to publish your work as you go a long somebody can always add a bit more and trump you. I have always thought the prize was unworkable for this reason.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
September 19, 2010 06:10PM
Beautiful work, fdavies... Inspiring to see how you've folded the struts into each other.
Best, TrisQ
September 19, 2010 06:20PM
fdavies,

impressive how your wiki entry also carefully lists the observed deficits (torsion) of your beautiful design. Your much further ahead than a lot of the folks doing (what they think) is "proper science".

How about going from one set of 4 linkages to two sets of 4 linkages. But instead of arranging them next to each other (as somebody else suggested in the wiki), you could arrange them "coaxially" (on around the other). If they are then mirror images of each other (actually more precisley: of different chirality), one would tend to helically unwind clockwise, while the other one tends to give counter-clockwise. When nicely balanced, this might make thinks quite a bit stiffer.

Best,
TrisQ
September 27, 2011 02:27AM
Nice work,

This type of model i have seen for first time. The way you have folded the struts is really appreciable. I am looking forward to see the wiki. You are going good, Keep updating..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2011 01:34AM by Gloriaevans.
January 26, 2012 04:40PM
Great Print!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login