Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Make my own in 5 steps

Posted by diogovb 
Make my own in 5 steps
July 25, 2011 11:16PM
Hello guys,
I'm a graphic designer from Brazil and I would like to start making my own Reprap!
But, actually, it's very expensive for me to buy the complete kit. Well, I'm asking if you guys can divide, like, in 5 parts the work I need to complete make it! So I can divide my work like a hobby, doing this in my free time, but I want to buy it step-by-step, in 5 parts.
For example: First the plastic parts (with detailed settings and names), Second, Third....
I hope you can understand my limitations and my wish to start being the first to help Reprap community here in my region, and you guys help me to build my own!
Thank you very much
Waiting for answers.

Diogo Barros
Re: Make my own in 5 steps
July 26, 2011 04:20AM
If cost is the primary constraint, you should maybe go for a repstrap of some sort - it will need more work on your side but can be made mostly out of salvaged or cheap materials.

Maybe start by building the frame, jcabrer's ongoing project seems a candidate for you there.
July 26, 2011 08:16AM
Actually if I divide the work in 5 steps it would not be just confortable for the cost, I don't have many free time so I would spend about 5 months (or more) doing this.
I'm planning also to build a nice "tutorial/guide" to people who have the same problem as me.
July 27, 2011 03:20AM
My recommendation would be this:

Decide which Mendel you want to build - personally I chose PRUSA Mendel because it has less plastic parts - there is the added cost of an extra motor, but even with the added expense of a 5th stepper motor that is about 1/3 less cost when compared to the original Mendel. Then:

1) Buy a set of plastic parts - I bought a set of poured resin parts from riboflavin's thread here and so far they've been pretty good.
2) Buy a set of mechanical parts (nuts/bolts/washers threaded rod etc.) - I bought mine from a UK-based company called Thingfarm.org - there's probably a local supplier in your part of the world - and if not, there's a parts list over on the wiki (I don't have a link for it handy otherwise I'd post it)
3) Buy the electronics (IMHO this is the most expensive part - so far I've spent around 40GBP on a RAMPS v1.3 board. Next I plan on purchasing a set of Pololu Motor Drivers, and then the 5 stepper motors I need.
4) Purchase the anicilliary parts - a computer PSU to power everything, a reel of ABS filament, a couple of pc fans for cooling and anything else I've forgotten (remember the parts list on the wiki).
5) Assemble, configure, and test.

I hope this helps.
July 27, 2011 09:03AM
Thank you very much you answered exactly what I wanted to know!
July 27, 2011 10:42AM
One crucial part I forgot to add to the list was the extruder - the kit of plastic parts I bought included the extruder body, and gears to make Wade's extruder, but not the nozzle as that's a machined part.

smiling smiley
August 03, 2011 06:04PM
That's about how I did mine too. I got the plastic parts first, then bought threaded rod and nuts/bolts at the hardware store and built up the frame. Then I got the smooth rod and motors and finished the bot mechanics. Finally I got the electronics and hot end and started testing. I took my time too, about 6 or 7 months of intermittent work. Still testing by the way.

Bryan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login