Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice needed for Delta electronics

Posted by Cpt_Waistcoat 
Advice needed for Delta electronics
January 04, 2015 11:14AM
Hi,

I'm looking to build a delta printer for ceramic use. I've got a list of what I require for the frame work, however I need some guidance with regards to the electronics. I already own a Arduino Uno R3, and would really like to integrate this into the build.

I've spent my time researching this before I decided to branch out on here for help, and the following is what I've discovered and leaves me with further questions and predicaments.

My first thought is, I require a firmware for the Uno, ideally Reprap, so due to the criteria of wanting to use the Uno, this basically narrowed down my choice of firmware to "Teacup". The issue I have with this, is it does not seem to support delta usage. I haven't been able to find any other uno suitable firmware with Delta support, if anyone know of any, please let me know.

So the above problem led me further down the tunnel of frustration, but wait! I find that the Uno can be interfaced with a modified version of the Quadstepper Firmata written by Jason K. Johnson and Andy Paine. All Controlling of the Delta printer is done in Firefly, a plugin for Grasshopper in Rhino, however the only issue with this is, Rhino3D costs a small fortune....

So back to the drawing board I go! I wander across an interesting forum post on here discussing "why is everyone using arduinos to interpret gcode" (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,145515 ). Some interesting points are made within that post, alternatives to using the arduino directly, but once again I feel no further forward.

I need some advice as to what firmware would suit the Uno, and which stepper drivers are recommended.

Many thanks
Re: Advice needed for Delta electronics
January 04, 2015 12:15PM
Are you adamant about using the uno? Because it would save you a ton of time and money just to purchase a mega...
January 04, 2015 12:33PM
The Uno has limited pins and memory. I don't know of an equivalent to Ramps for the Uno.
You can get a decent mega for $16.
[www.dx.com]
January 04, 2015 01:03PM
If I can't use it, then I will opt for the mega, but it would be nice to use the Uno. I considered the GrblShield v5 for the Uno as a promising option, however it does not support ABC axis only XYZ, Can this be overcome? is it a matter or making sure XYZ correlate to ABC?
January 04, 2015 02:55PM
That doesn't include an extruder motor controller or mosfets for the heatbed/fan/hotend.
It is also more expensive than a complete set of electronics including a mega at
[www.dx.com]
January 04, 2015 04:50PM
Cpt_Waistcoat
So back to the drawing board I go! I wander across an interesting forum post on here discussing "why is everyone using arduinos to interpret gcode" (http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?13,145515 ). Some interesting points are made within that post, alternatives to using the arduino directly, but once again I feel no further forward.

I think that a more appropriate question for 2015 is why do people insist on running ancient 8-bit controllers on Delta printers, when there are 32-bit choices readily available with none of the 8-bit pitfalls doing Delta math and running out of CPU???

Realize that the thread you quoted above is three years old, and the Rostock (arguably the first "production" Delta printer) was still a twinkle in Johann Rocholl's eyes at the time. Time marches on. The current crop of 8-bit Delta firmware will barely fit into a Mega 2560's memory...which is 4-8 times larger than the Uno's available flash.

You may find what the folks running BeagleBone boards on Linux with stepper motor capes attached interesting, if you want to tinker with more bleeding-edge stuff. If you just want to print, a 32-bit Smoothieboard or Azteeg X5 mini will more than suit your needs, although there are still proponents of 32-bit Arduino Due-based solutions out there.....
January 04, 2015 07:17PM
vreihen
I think that a more appropriate question for 2015 is why do people insist on running ancient 8-bit controllers on Delta printers, when there are 32-bit choices readily available with none of the 8-bit pitfalls doing Delta math and running out of CPU???

I completely agree, with 32-bit processors being so cheap there is no reason to use an 8-bit processor to control a 3D printer any more. As well as the 32-bit solutions already mentioned, I am about to start testing my changes to the firmware for Duet electronics to support delta printers. I spent most of today rewiring my Mini Kossel for the Duet board and documenting the process in my blog. The Duet provides a really nice web interface to control the printer, as well as providing the usual USB interface, SD card slot, digital control of motor currents etc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 04:14AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 04, 2015 10:22PM
Before RAMPS was king of the hill, there is just so many people using, so much documentation on it while the 32-bit boards were still too new. That's no longer really the case. You got very well documented Smoothie and the popular azteeg now. The absolutel only reason to go with RAMPS is to save money.
January 05, 2015 03:53AM
I fully agree with the above.
Deltas require a lot more processing power that cartesian printers.
... So you may well get fed up with your 8 bit relic and nave to spend more to replace it (as I did). My Smoothie got here yesterday and will be installed today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2015 03:55AM by Paul Wanamaker.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
January 05, 2015 04:20AM
I don't think it will be long before all-in-one 32-bit boards cost less than Arduino/RAMPS/Stepstick for the same feature set. The component costs are more or less the same, and the connector, assembly and testing costs should be lower. It just needs the Chinese suppliers to get in on the act.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 05, 2015 06:30AM
My vote is for a smoothieboard also given how easy it was to set up without any of the frustrations. Granted though it does cost more than a basic Auduino based controler but who wants to spend weeks trying to get the firmware to work with your particular build

My delta build blogspot [d3delta3d.blogspot.com.au]

Custom Delta printer
300x500 build volume
magnetic effector
Smoothieboard controlled
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login