Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software auto-lift during non-printing moves

Posted by dc42 
Software auto-lift during non-printing moves
January 24, 2015 05:40AM
I am considering adding software auto-lift for non-extruding moves to my delta support for Duet electronics. The idea would be to lift the nozzle by about 0.2mm during non-printing moves, to avoid the nozzle touching parts of the print that it moves over.

Some ways I can see of implementing it:

1. Add a quadratic term to the tower height vs. distance function. This would make the nozzle describe a parabola, but is computationally difficult.

2. Add a quadratic term to the square of tower height vs. distance function. This is computationally much easier.

3. Split each non-printing linear move into two separate moves of equal length, and increase the height at the join.

Has this been done before? Is it a good idea, or a waste of time? I see that slic3r has a "Lift Z" option in the filament retraction settings, but I've never tried it. It also has an "Avoid crossing perimeters" option, although I am told that it can make slicing very slow.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Software auto-lift during non-printing moves
January 24, 2015 03:33PM
Hi David,
i'm using the lift Z on retract on my delta, on the ormerod the Z moves are too slow so i didn't use it there, it helps a little with blobing probably, but i didn't test it much (i use 1mm lift).
Yours suggestion vould not only help with blobing, but also as you said it vould prevent the head from scrathing the print.
Maybe you should try the slic3r feature before deciding if you should put it in the firmware.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login