Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Marlin 1.0.2 for delta?

Posted by nick0 
Marlin 1.0.2 for delta?
July 04, 2015 11:44AM
Hi all

I'm trying to calibrate my kossel (arduino 2560 + ramps 1.4). I have use the marlin firmware provide by builda3dprinter website but i can't get the m666 endstop offset command to work... I have activate the eeprom setting but it doesn't change anything....
As the firmware on this website seems old, i download the latest marlin firmware (1.0.2) but it seems that it doesn't deal with delta?Do you know if i can use it or do i have to take an older version (or maybe repetier firmware?)

thanks for your help

nic
Re: Marlin 1.0.2 for delta?
July 04, 2015 02:58PM
1.0.2, 1.0.3-dev, etc. all do Delta. You just need to go into the examples directory, and get the template config files for a delta, since the base ones don't have the delta stuff in them.

- Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2015 02:58PM by tadawson.
July 05, 2015 05:29AM
thanks for the answer, i'll check!
September 13, 2015 09:45PM
I want to use this firmware but I don't know how to set it up. Do I have to download all the files and put them in a folder? Is there somewhere to download them all zipped together? Sorry for what may be a rookie question, I just don't know what I'm doing exactly

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2015 09:50PM by Smallj.
September 13, 2015 10:54PM
download the firmware, and also download the Arduino IDE.

Hook up the Arduino board and open the .ino file in the folder. Go to configuration.h and this is where you change your settings. Make sure you are set to Atmega 2560 and the right com port, then flash your firmware on. I recommend Repetier instead of Marlin though for Deltas. (same process) good luck.
September 14, 2015 09:41AM
3DRapidClone

Hook up the Arduino board and open the .ino file in the folder. Go to configuration.h and this is where you change your settings. Make sure you are set to Atmega 2560 and the right com port, then flash your firmware on. I recommend Repetier instead of Marlin though for Deltas. (same process) good luck.

where can i download the firmware?

I have configured my printer with marlin 1.0.0 right now but i have a problem with the servo motor twitching, this is why i want to get the v1.0.2. Does repietier firmware support auto bed leveling?
September 14, 2015 09:52AM
Smallj
3DRapidClone

Click on the "Download ZIP" on the right.

Smallj
I have configured my printer with marlin 1.0.0 right now but i have a problem with the servo motor twitching, this is why i want to get the v1.0.2. Does repietier firmware support auto bed leveling?

Do you also have a LCD?

RAMPS won't do LCD and servo together, not enough 5V power, there are ways to get around that though.

As a note, the official 1.0.2 does not have support for auto-calibration.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2015 09:53AM by Koenig.
September 14, 2015 11:04AM
Smallj
3DRapidClone

Repetier supports Auto-leveling, it does not support auto-calibration. There are branches of Marlin that have auto-calibration however.
September 14, 2015 02:12PM
Thanks for the help guys. I am running an lcd, but I am not using a heated bed. I have an independent heater. Idk if that would have an effect on the 5 volt power but my assumption is not.

What is the difference between auto level and auto calibration? How would I get around the limited 5 volt power? Could the limited power cause the servo to twitch. It only twitches when the motor are energized, so I am guessing yes, but I still want to ask
September 14, 2015 03:13PM
Smallj
What is the difference between auto level and auto calibration? How would I get around the limited 5 volt power? Could the limited power cause the servo to twitch. It only twitches when the motor are energized, so I am guessing yes, but I still want to ask

The twitching servo is not an uncommon problem when also trying to use a LCD, hence the specific question from me.

I think the best was is to add an external 5V supply for the LCD.
I've heard of people modding the existing 5V regulator on the RAMPS to give more power, a quick google gives this, they even mention the LCD there.
September 14, 2015 07:33PM
Koenig
Smallj

The twitching servo is not an uncommon problem when also trying to use a LCD, hence the specific question from me.

I've heard of people modding the existing 5V regulator on the RAMPS to give more power, a quick google gives this, they even mention the LCD there.

Okay i have done some searching, but i dont really know what im looking for. How would i add an external 5 volt power supply? I thought about modding the arduino but i dont really want to do that, i would rather add a power supply. I know there is a 5 volt power input on the arduino itself, would i need something like This or would i need to run something in line with the lcd display itself. I am sorry i seem helpless, i am stuck and dont know what i am looking for
September 14, 2015 07:40PM
3DRapidClone
Smallj
3DRapidClone

Repetier supports Auto-leveling, it does not support auto-calibration. There are branches of Marlin that have auto-calibration however.

what is the difference between auto leveling and auto calibration?
September 15, 2015 03:36AM
Smallj
Koenig
Smallj

Okay i have done some searching, but i dont really know what im looking for. How would i add an external 5 volt power supply? I thought about modding the arduino but i dont really want to do that, i would rather add a power supply. I know there is a 5 volt power input on the arduino itself, would i need something like This or would i need to run something in line with the lcd display itself. I am sorry i seem helpless, i am stuck and dont know what i am looking for

I really don't how, I just knew about the issue and that some people have solved it.

I just recently got aware of another source of twitching servos as well, if you have the servo cables to close to the stepper motor cables the servo might pick up interference from the motors causing the twitch.
September 15, 2015 03:38AM
Smallj
3DRapidClone
Smallj
3DRapidClone

what is the difference between auto leveling and auto calibration?

I sort of guessing here but I would say that a calibration takes care of endstop settings, delta radius, tower offsets/angular offsets and Z-height, whilst leveling takes care of a slanted or uneven bed but that the printer must be calibrated prior to bed leveling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/2015 03:39AM by Koenig.
September 15, 2015 09:39AM
Very good info guys, thank you for the help this clears up a lot for me! I think I am going to make sure my wires are isolated from any interference and I did notice (I could be crazy) that when I had the usb connected to my computer it didn't twitch as bad. I think I may order a 5v 1a power supple for the arduino itself and see if that helps. I'm guess that that the ramps is powering the arduino from the 12 volt power supply, and the voltage reg can't allow for enough cutler rent to keep everything consistent. If I add that power supply to my board I think that my solve it. Idk I'll post back when I try this. The only other guess I have is firmware problems but I don't think that's the case
September 15, 2015 04:31PM
Please have a look on DEACTIVATE_SERVOS_AFTER_MOVE in Configuration.h
September 15, 2015 07:43PM
AnHardt
Please have a look on DEACTIVATE_SERVOS_AFTER_MOVE in Configuration.h

i know the v1.0.2 has this however i am on v1.0.0 i dont think this is in there. sorry misleading title
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login