Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kossel XXL

Posted by Fletch 
Kossel XXL
March 22, 2016 09:47PM
Hello, I'm a New to this forum and I've just set out on my first 3d printer build!
I hope I've posted in the correct area

I have been reliant on others for anything I've ever wanted printed in 3D, usually for Quadcopters.

I did a little bit of digging and came across David Crockers Blog, who i now know is DC42 on here

In particular his Blogs on a Kossel XL and its Upgrades
Building a large delta 3D printer
Upgrading the large delta printer
More upgrades to the large Delta 3D printer

From this I put together what I hoped was a fairly detailed List of all the parts I am going to need. I've had a lot of help from a few guys on another forum, they picked my list and suggested some changes.
I've essentially used DC42s build with a few minor changes
I'm using Robotdigg XXL corners i'm using 500mm 2060 on the base, except the back its 2x2020
I've got 1000mm 2040 on the uprights and 500mm 2040 on the top horizontal

Here is My Parts List so far including costs (and currency conversions using PayPals Rates at the time). I'm on the UK so everything is GBP.

Parts List Including Shipping and Customs costs

My Photo Album is here

I'm sure i'll be back in the next few weeks to look for advice and help in setting things up

I've had a lot of help from a guy on another forum, hes been huge help printing any 3d parts i'm going to need, and giving me loads of advice on what parts i'll need and how to put things together! a huge thanks to dougal1957 who i know is also on here!
Re: Kossel XXL
March 24, 2016 08:41AM
Sounds a lot like my delta printer (in size at least). I enjoy build threads.
March 24, 2016 05:19PM
I'm away for a week now but when i get back to it i'll try and keep this thread and the gallery updated.

I'll have to work out dimensions for print area once its built!

Which delta have you built?
March 24, 2016 07:54PM
Fletch
I'm away for a week now but when i get back to it i'll try and keep this thread and the gallery updated.

I'll have to work out dimensions for print area once its built!

Which delta have you built?

I designed my own custom delta. 350mm print diameter with 470mm Z height. My prototype is on thingiverse (BazBot). I'm on V2 of which I will eventually be publishing to thingiverse.

You should be able to search YouTube for BazBot and find one of the videos. I'm still using some V1 parts in that video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2016 08:20PM by MrBaz.
March 25, 2016 12:14AM
I'll have a look when I get a chance ....
March 28, 2016 11:19PM
For a good time, replace the column header "Cost (GBP)" with:

=concatenate("Cost (GBP) = ",round(sum(H3:H60),2))

That way you've got a running total of the cost, right there at the top. Change H60 to whatever row number is required to stay abreast of any additions.

I made a copy of the document and made this change just to be able to quickly see the total. Figured I'd share the simple code.
March 29, 2016 02:24AM
Cheers Zach

I took the total off ... It started to scare me!
March 31, 2016 09:47AM
Any body help with this problem??

[www.youtube.com]

is there another firmware i can upload to dc42s paneldue controller to test the touchscreen?

I've tried the 7" 1.12 and 1.13 - neither of these worked
and the 5" 1.13 - everything was backwards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2016 09:48AM by Fletch.
March 31, 2016 04:36PM
I think you have purchased a screen without a touch panel. If it had a touch panel, you would see a flexible 4-way connection strip somewhere on the edge of the screen, as you can see in the photo in this listing [www.ebay.co.uk].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 31, 2016 06:32PM
Thanks for the reply DC

This is the one i ordered [www.ebay.co.uk]

However my one doesn't have the narrow cable shown in the picture
[goo.gl]
April 01, 2016 05:19AM
The photo confirms it, you have been sent a screen without the touch panel. The 4-way socket on the back for the touch panel connector is empty. I suggest you email the photo to the supplier and ask for a replacement.

I've used that supplier too, and I've not had a problem with them - in fact, my own 7" screen came from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2016 05:21AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 01, 2016 07:26AM
I've emailed them, and after a small chinglish battle they are sending out a new one ...
July 12, 2016 10:00PM
Well Gents its been a while since i updated anything.

First of all i'd like to say Thanks to Dougal1957 without him i just wouldn't have know where to start!!.

This is my first attempt at 3d printing so its a steep learning curve!

I had one of the first e3d titan extruiders with the wrong hobed, so a quick email and photo to e3d and a new one was on its way.

I got the printer essentially finished about 2 months ago, the problem was the bed plate was being machined by a friend of a friend as a homer, so it just took the time it took.

With the help of doug i got the basic settings dialed in, extruder calibarated, temps aren't perfect, but they aren't to bad on the bed (i don;t have anything that can measure the head yet)

I got the basic cal settings in, the IR sensors height all set and let the software give me more accurate figures ...

I did three sets of bed spiral (centre, middle an outside) and after a little bit of fiddling they printed perfectly.
What i found was when the head is at temp but not printing (like during the cal) the abs slowly runs out, so for the first little bit i don't get any plastic being extruded from the nozzle, so when it does eventually extrude it had to buiild up pressure in the nozzle before it started 'flowing' and it usually had missed a small section of the print, and it had a cold tail that wouldn't stick the the bed and it occasionally caught as the head passed round. so i started putting a skirt on things which helped, but its probably not the best way to deal with it.

I then printed another Bed Leveler i had a slight issue of my own doing, as it was a new 3d printed i had nowhere to hang the spool, as such it was laid on its side on the table pulling off a coil at a time, the filament kinked and stopped extruding. So i cut up a carboard tube and jammed it between two chairs which held the spool nicely for my first proper print which was a simple spool mount. And yes in the photo i had pulled it off the bed before it was cool!

I've since printed a few other bits, i've got a few issues i'd like to try and get dialed out ... i'm gonna stick them in the next post.

I've added some photos to the end of the album
[goo.gl]
July 12, 2016 10:26PM
My Issues ...

This is a list for me aswell, i'd be grateful of some help if anyone has anything to offer.

The issue with the first few seconds of the print not working until pressure has built up in the nozzle, i've read of putting a purge and wipe right at the corner of your bed plate in the start script but only seen information relating to cartesian printers. i suspect this would cure my issue but don't know if its the right thing for what i'm seeing.

When i changed the filament for the first time, the new filament would not extrude, when i took things to bits i found shavings in the heatbreak. (Photo) Do i have the titan clamped up to tight or something else?

So my first tall object showed up a flaw, that when i went back and looked at my older prints had been there from day one.
I was printing the body of a tool holder Here i was printing the part named Precision_Tools_Holder-Body.stl

What i have noticed is if the printer is doing one part where the hot end doesn't have to lift and move away to another object or another area of the print i get really nice layer alignment like in this Photo
However if the the printer has to lift the hot end away to another part or another area of the print (like the bit sticking up at the centre of the tool holder body) i get really nasty alignment like This
I've checked for slack in all the arms and rollers and theres nothing, everything is quite solid. I'm going to guess that its something to do with calibaration because it CAN print nice layers.

Now both parts in the photos are part of the same object printed at the same time ... the smooth part is the top third, the bad part is the bottom third. As soon as the print finished doing the little stub in the middle the hot end was only doing the perimeter and the print was perfect until i canceled it. I just pulled it apart as the layers had split, i think they may have split due to a drastic change in the room temperature, so i'll look at that issue later. I may even throw some perspex sides on it to help with that.

I can;t get near the printed for a week so i'll be doing some research online and making lists of things to try and check.
July 23, 2016 07:12PM
So i think i have found one of my problems

The rods, carriages and end effector is all tight with no free play at all.

However the Hotend moves a tiny bit in the holder (DC42s one for the 1.1 IR)
I've put a tywrap round the whole assembly and it looks like it has cured my layer alignment issue.

but as i typed this the Titan extruder has started to click on a retract, will pull it to bits and see whats making the noise
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login