Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder Vitamins

Posted by Sanjaysuri87 
Extruder Vitamins
July 21, 2013 11:12AM
HI All,

Anyone know where to get a decent hobbed bolt? I recently damaged mine doing something stupid with a dremel sad smiley.I have a Prusa Durbie, built by Romscraj, the bolt is is only 3mm and the brass hobbed gear just screws on the thread, I have tried countless hardware stores however I am unable to find one.

Also, I want to change my setup to a direct drive, but I cant find the drive gear anywhere, anyone can help? Actually is anyone using direct drive with 3mm filaments, I have a 0.3mm nozzle and I am wondering if i have enough torque without cooking stepper/board.

FYI, I live in the city, I know I can go to to Romcraj and just buy a new one but paying more in taxi fare than the cost of the parts seems stupid to me, I hope there is somewhere closer.

Thanks,

Sanjay.
Re: Extruder Vitamins
July 21, 2013 02:09PM
Hi
The only thing i have found that is compatible with the Romscraj hobbed gear is a toothed M3 gear wheel at Jet Hobby Ubi Avenue 3
The teeth are not quite as "sharp" as the Romscraj ones so probably more suited to ABS ( which is softer) but it does fit onto an M3 bolt

I wouldn't recommend trying 3mm filament - 0.3 nozzel direct drive , assuming your using the standard Gen6D board that Romscraj supply with their machines. The gearing ratio on the standard extruder is there for a reason!

good luck
Re: Extruder Vitamins
July 22, 2013 12:09AM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip! I was thinking the same thing about the extruder, I am just looking for a design with easier access.

If anyone has ideas I would appreciate the input, if not I am going to Ubi smiling smiley

Thanks,

Sanjay
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login