Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reference / Diagnostic Part

Posted by grizgrand 
Reference / Diagnostic Part
June 29, 2011 11:42AM
Hi Folks,

I would like to put forward the idea of a reference "Hello World" part that any printer can make to A) prove that it can print and cool smiley provide a measure of the accuracy and quality of the build

Thinking along the lines of a inkjet calibration test page where the lines are printed and you can tell which are aligned,

Would it be possible to design a part using minimal material to showcase and test the various geometries and patterns a printer builds. The design would have tests built in to catch common misalignment problems and potentially a way to dicriminate between problems.

1) down one side would be an ever decreasing set of teeth for assessing the accuracy of gearing
2) another side can have a series of ever thinner walls to judge that characteristic
3) various sizes of holes and indents to prove accuracy and movement.
4) Showcase fill patterns
5) Fixed dimension areas to prove X,Y and Z stepping
6) Create a join at an edge a few layers thick to assess strength (ie a score across the edge that can be snapped off to test strength / brittleness of the part)

So for example i could print my first reference part and report to the forum.
The teeth printed fine down to number 34 before deforming and hole number 5 didnt work out and such n such an indent was partially filled. Hole 6+7 dont require reeming but 8 does etc....

The more experinced members can then explain what may be wrong, what settings need ajusted and what improvements can be expected from the setup the have. Also it gives a common reference to tweekers to say how good a reprap they have. ie i can print gearing accurate to tooth 59 with gen 99 electronics! The new extruder design allows accurate gearing to tooth 60 etc.

Ok that turned into quite a story.
Anyone think this is possible and want to put forward ideas to be included and anyone want to try submitting a design?

Cheers
Gary
Re: Reference / Diagnostic Part
June 30, 2011 03:08AM
Have a look at this part: [reprap.org]

It's simple and allows proper calibration ... as soon as Skeinforge allows proper calibration, that is.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login