Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm DYING to know what resins are used with DLP printers for a cancer-related project

Posted by Simba 
I'm DYING to know what resins are used with DLP printers for a cancer-related project
September 25, 2012 11:42PM
Hi Guys,

So, in my real job we want to use the DLP printer + resin approach as applied to a specific kind of diagnostic test (they won't let me go into details - sorry that isn't very reprappy).

Anyways, its killing me that I can't find a photo resin that compares with the juice that is used by B9 Creations DLP system, or Envisiontec.de (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UDhk5Irsgk&feature=related). I don't just wish to break this down to reproduce it, I want to use it for a real diagnostic device.

I've contacted a dozen companies like Loctite or Microchem, and tried many photoresists that sort of do the trick (visible light cure) with luck, but nothing that is a one-part solution. The B9 creation resist is either made in house (they made their own MSDS) or simply repackaged and rebranded it to make some money. Either way, I really want to know what they are using. Most likely they have a contact that supplies them the ready product. There is only one commercial site I found that even sells a polymer like it, but they only go up to 415 nm wavelengths (I need to hit closer to 465nm). That is here: Bucktown polymers for 3d printers, soon releasing 445nm. [bucktownpolymers.com]

What I can tell you is that the photoresins used by dentists will be very similar, they have added fillers though. Composite resins are bisphenol A-glycidyl methacrylate (BISGMA) or urethane dimethacrylate (UDMA). There is a guide here on SLS that may also help: [www.photopolymer.com], but I don't know enough chemistry to find the right lead to a supplier.

Incidentally, I managed to connect with a supplier through Microchem that "doesn't want to be identified" unless customers qualify their product needs and it matches (what the hell kind of way is that to do business!?).

I am greatly indebted to anyone who can help point me to a 450-500 nm (light cure) one-part polymer. Thanks in advance!
VDX
Re: I'm DYING to know what resins are used with DLP printers for a cancer-related project
September 26, 2012 02:06AM
... i think you should contact Fernando (RepRap-user 'spota') from spotamaterials dot com - he supported me with the basic ingredients to mix my own resin and with a premixed formula I'm testing with ... but he has some activators for visible light and optional fillers too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
Re: I'm DYING to know what resins are used with DLP printers for a cancer-related project
October 10, 2012 12:44PM
VDX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... i think you should contact Fernando
> (RepRap-user 'spota') from spotamaterials dot com
> - he supported me with the basic ingredients to
> mix my own resin and with a premixed formula I'm
> testing with ... but he has some activators for
> visible light and optional fillers too ...

Mr. Fernando is a GREAT guy. I manage to connect with him so thanks! Also I got the point of contact from the B9creations guy. Both are using similar technology... standard 470nm photoinitiators. It's just a little beyond me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login