Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Guru Metal Hotend - Something to do in my free time

Posted by Liquid 
Guru Metal Hotend - Something to do in my free time
June 07, 2013 07:04AM
Hello everybody! This is my first post. I thought I would introduce myself and post a project I am attempting to have some fun on my free time.

So Hellooooo, my name is James

I have been reading the forums for a while now, and decided it was time to sign up and do my best to contribute something in the form of pics and updates of this project as it goes along. Since I received my degree, I have been spending a lot of time behind the computer, and havent had much time to actually make anything that isnt code related. I figured an all metal hotend would be a great primer in getting back into fabrication. Before this, I was an ironworker and made things all the time. Loved it.

SO some may be asking "Why would I choose to make an all metal hotend?", I dont really have an answer except for, "Why Not?" at this point. I know that its been done already, and done very well, however I see that there is still some room for a tad bit of innovation.

As an fyi, when I say "hotend" I mean everything from the cold end to the nozzle.

As of right now, I have designs that I will be testing for the groovmount type of systems, with plans to design for those who need 6mm threaded installation heads.

Materials preferred:
Aluminum
Stainless
Although current design account for possible ceramic insert.
To be Determined

Id like some of the criteria of the hotend to be:
Standalone, no additional fans needed to cool the cold end. No "needed" reliance on mounting block for cooling.
As compact as possible in both length and width/diameter
Easy to maintain
Able to accept as many type of filaments as possible
Basically to be as good performance wise as it can possibly be.

Ive secured most of tooling to accomplish my goals, with a few still left to be ordered once I finalize a design. Ive also secrued most of the test metals from a site by the url of onlinemetals.com.

Tooling I have so far:
Mini Lathe, customized and still being customized to my needs
Quick change post, insert holders
Dremel and Dremel drill press
Series 1 3D printer for testing, with other printer purchases (reprap) planned for further testing

Tools still needed:
Drill bits, taps, Micro bits and micro bit holders once I finalize the design
Mini mill/drill press

Will post the designs once I get closer to finalizing the design.

Any input or requests are more than welcome.

Here are some pics:

Unboxing of the lathe

Mini Lathe after complete disassembly and most of it reassembled. Shipping/storage grease has been removed. All of the ways have been lapped, the motor has been properly positioned. The head has been removed and packed with grease. Main belt has been properly tensioned. All axis, have been packed with grease. Apron packed with grease. Tailstock has been centered with lathe.

That working desk is a mess, but I know where everything is lol.

Will post more images and design files of the actual hot end once I finish modifying the initial cad files.

So if you have read this far, awesome. I think this will be an interesting project as there are some very small details that will be incorporated that I think will make a huge difference in performance.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 11:59AM by Liquid.
Re: Guru Metal Hotend - Something to do in my freetime
June 07, 2013 07:17AM
If you manage to meet all your criteria then I would definitely be interested.
All the current all metal hot end designs require active fan cooling to work properly.

Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: Guru Metal Hotend - Something to do in my freetime
June 07, 2013 07:35AM
rhmorrison Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
If you manage to meet all your criteria then I would definitely be interested.
All the current all metal hot end designs require active fan cooling to work properly.

Great, After I test something out for a day or two, I will be looking to hand out a few for testing. Not sure how long it will be until I have something in hand though. Should not be more than a few weeks Im hoping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2013 08:15AM by Liquid.
Re: Guru Metal Hotend - Something to do in my free time
June 20, 2013 02:14PM
i know its cheek im after a hotend maybe a month or so away from printing but would like to take it for a test drive as a none experienced new set up printer and report my findings, just let us know i have started a blog site at the moment it a bit over the place as i have spent most of my time learning on here and doing bits and bats every mnth when i get paid

Check my rubbish blog for my prusa i3

up and running
[3dimetech.blogspot.co.uk]
June 24, 2013 06:09AM
James

I have a home machine shop (Bridgeport mill, mill drill CNC mini mill and a 14 X 48 Clausing lathe) and will help you as much as I can.

When you buy your drill bits and lathe tools, Buy USA made stuff. I get 3 to 4 times more work out of them than the import China stuff. You should get center cut drill bits cause they will drill straight. I grind most of my lathe bits from USA made HHS.

I don't use carbide very much as the tend to chip easily. HHS works very well with 303 stainless and most alum.

For machinable stainless, get 303 as it has a small amount of lead in it and machines like a dream. You may need to get it from a online source as a lot of metal supply houses that cater to welders don't carry it. Don't even try 304 unless you know how to work with it.
6061 alum machines great and is available at most metal suppliers.

I've made a few all metal hotends and most need a cooling fan to get them to work without jamming. The barrel will need polished and I use backing soda glued to spring wire to do that.

Rodney
July 08, 2013 04:06PM
Hi Liquid,

I have the same lathe as you and have tried to make an all metal hot end for a while. I settled on this design: [www.thingiverse.com] I mentioned it here: [forums.reprap.org]

I have switched to 3/8-24 from 3/8-16 I can send you some of the 3/8-16 parts and stock if you want to play around with that type of design.

I think the biggest challenge is getting the SS hole very smooth. I tried using a reamer but my hot ends kept getting clogged so I caved and changed the design to use the teflon.

I'm sure you have seen:
[forums.reprap.org]
and their store at:
[e3d-online.com] I am waiting to get one of theirs to try out and see if I can learn anything from it
People who have used them seem to like them, I like water cooled so would like a version without the bulk of the fan and such.

I hope to get a homemade all metal hot working some time but for now I will stick with my current design.

Mike
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login