Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Automated Temp Config tester

Posted by JeromeM 
Automated Temp Config tester
February 10, 2014 07:56AM
Hi Guys,

I am looking into possibly developing a program, or maybe a series of GCode that automatically helps you find the best temperature settings for your new filament.

I am imagining the printing of an array of cubes at a range of bed and extruder temperatures, and the user can decide which setting is best.

One issue I see is that you could do each entire cube at a time, which would result in the extruder possibly not cooling down enough for the 2nd+ layer, or you can do the first layer for the whole array and then go back to the second layer, however that would probably cause poor adhesion because of the plastic hardening...

Anyone willing to help me to design how this test should work?

Thanks!
Re: Automated Temp Config tester
February 17, 2014 11:44AM
Hmm, I'm back with a tiny bit more knowledge, but some input would be awesome!

I am currently thinking of making and array of 2x20x0.5mm rectangles using CAD software, and pushing it into G-Code through Slic3r. Then I suppose one can manually add temperature changing commands between each part?

Assuming that makes sense, anyone able to help with the latter half of that?

Thanks
Re: Automated Temp Config tester
February 17, 2014 05:30PM
Sounds do-able. M104 (set extruder temperature) and M109 (set extruder temperature and wait) are probably the G-codes you want (see G-code).

In theory, you should be able to go into Slic3r and check
Print Settings -> Output options -> Complete individual objects
so that each piece is built separately. I was playing with this a bit, but unfortunately it seems like Slic3r isn't doing this correctly - looks like a bug.

Also, 2x20x0.5 might be a little small. Here's an array of blocks in OpenSCAD in case you find it useful.
Attachments:
open | download - cubeArray.scad (96 bytes)
open | download - cubeArray.stl (9 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login