Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Large reprap?

Posted by bianchi 
Large reprap?
December 09, 2015 01:12AM
Guys does anyone of you build a large reprap? Any experiences I want to build 150x100x100

Thx
Re: Large reprap?
December 09, 2015 01:27AM
mm? inches? feet? yards? meters?

Ultra MegaMax Dominator 3D printer: [drmrehorst.blogspot.com]
December 09, 2015 06:16AM
Almost everything on a 3D printer scales truly horribly. As a general rule, Cartesian printers for up to a 200mm cube can be built with simple materials and, with care, can give very accurate prints at a decent speed. By simply going up to a 300mm cube 8mm, unsupported rails are no longer adequate, your build stage can no longer be a simple glass plate (The digital_dentist recommends cast tooling plate) and both speed and accuracy are more problematic. At a guess the cost and effort go up in line with the build volume - 200mm cube = 8 liters while 300mm cube = 27 liters or nearly 3.4 times as much.

Your 150cm X 100cm X 100cm would have a 1500 liter volume which is 187 times as great - so 187 times the cost and effort. Delta printers seem to scale a little better and good engineering can improve matters a lot, but just know that the task is not an easy one.

Mike
December 09, 2015 06:21AM
It's in cm of course...

Do you reckon delta 30 x 18 would be good enough ?

I want to print a tube ( pipe ) for bicycle frame....is it possible with 20x20x20 printer ? then join all of them together ?

Thanks
December 09, 2015 01:51PM
To stand any chance with a bicycle frame printed in any of the popular materials on an FDM you would have to redesign it so that the forces in the frame do not act to separate the layers. As long as the forces act along the laid filaments Nylon, ABS, Polycarbonate and even PLA CAN be quite strong. Be aware however, that without careful control of the printing the strength can be quite unpredictable. Even with a design that is strong in normal use there can be unexpected problems - anything from unseen damage caused in a minor accident to the effects of the weather on the plastic.

Mike
December 09, 2015 04:24PM
Do you mean FDM is "Fused deposition modelling (FDM)" ?
And may be for a simple test I make tube, and then give a stress with my weight plates 100kg and see what happen ?

what's the thickness of the tube normally ? there's a possibility that I make a frame / structure inside the tube, some kind a bone inside the tube for supporting the strength of it....

Thanks for your insight...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login