Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adding another stepper to X or Y axis

Posted by Butter 
Adding another stepper to X or Y axis
January 17, 2022 04:08AM
I'm working on a project that will require a little more force than i would think one stepper will provide. What I'm wanting to build is a cnc plasma cutter from an old Anet A8.
What i don't know can this be done through the slicer or would that be more firmware edit? or has anyone else done this.

Any imput would be helpful
thanks
Re: Adding another stepper to X or Y axis
January 17, 2022 04:18AM
This a firmware edit

everyone using anything other than a 3d printer uses this... ie all other cnc type machines

In marlin simply enable
X_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS and Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS
January 17, 2022 05:14AM
thank you for the response..

I would like to add I will not t be using the extruder nor the z lift motors. Is it possible to assign those steppers drivers to mimic X or Y axis?
January 17, 2022 08:26AM
unused E are automatically re-allocated as secondary X or Y. just set #define EXTRUDERS 0 (will be a bunch of other changes needed also since this reduces number of axies.)

Z not sure... marlin needs a Z axis... no way to disable it.
You would have to assign the Z step/direction and enable pins to unused pins
then create an E2 step/direction and enable using the original Z pins. Marlin will then reallocate it like any other unused E
February 22, 2022 04:16AM
After a lot of thought i decided not to tear apart the A8 for a plasma cutter project.

I just purchased a 3d printer kit with a Mega and ramps 1.4 shield. After playing around with it a bit i managed to install the Marlin.

Now I have a new question...

I only need the X and Y axis for the project, but the project will need two steppers for each axis. Is there an easy way to reassign pins on the controller so that the shield extruder driver mimics the x axis?

Has someone done this before and more importantly is there an easier way of going about this?
February 22, 2022 05:06AM
You cant disable Z, so you have to just ignore it

Set EXTRUERS 0
enable X_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS and Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

Adjust the number of elements in things link DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT and DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE from 4 to 3 elements (from X,Y, Z,E to X,Y, Z)
Marlin will warn you with copious warning about what needs changed.

Plug steppers in X, Y E0 and E1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2022 05:12AM by Dust.
February 23, 2022 03:25AM
I will look into it.

Thank you very much for the info.
March 17, 2022 12:07AM
Dust
You cant disable Z, so you have to just ignore it

Set EXTRUERS 0
enable X_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS and Y_DUAL_STEPPER_DRIVERS

Adjust the number of elements in things link DEFAULT_AXIS_STEPS_PER_UNIT and DEFAULT_MAX_FEEDRATE from 4 to 3 elements (from X,Y, Z,E to X,Y, Z)
Marlin will warn you with copious warning about what needs changed.

Plug steppers in X, Y E0 and E1

I just wanted to thank you for the help and i got everything working as it should.

But i do have a couple of questions

One... The LCD blinks between the current position and a question mark "???". It still working so its not all that important.

Two... The Z axis is slow compared to the X and Y axis even though i thought i found where to change the speed. Again its not all that important but i do see the potential for other projects.

Thanks again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2022 12:07AM by Butter.
March 17, 2022 12:33AM
blinking question mark is telling you that you have not homed the axis. So position is relative to power on position not home
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login