Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Y-axis one direction

Posted by Jors 
Y-axis one direction
December 29, 2012 09:17PM
Hi, my reprap will only move it's Y axis in one direction. I have the endstops wired as NC and connected to the right pins.
(Like on the wiring example you can see on the reprap wiki for ramps 1.4)

Repetier settings:

/* By default all endstops are pulled up to high. You need a pullup if you
use a mechanical endstop connected with gnd. Set value to false for no pullup
on this endstop.
*/
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MIN true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_X_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Y_MAX true
#define ENDSTOP_PULLUP_Z_MAX true

//set to true to invert the logic of the endstops
#define ENDSTOP_X_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MIN_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_X_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Y_MAX_INVERTING false
#define ENDSTOP_Z_MAX_INVERTING false

//If your axes are only moving in one direction, make sure the endstops are connected properly.
//If your axes move in one direction ONLY when the endstops are triggered, set ENDSTOPS_INVERTING to true here

My axis will move up but not down. The motor is ok, because i tried switching the X and Y motor connectors and then i could move Y in both directions. Replacing the endstop with a jumper didn't help. Were should I start looking to fix this ?
Re: Y-axis one direction
December 30, 2012 01:07AM
I have the same or a simalar problem. My z axis only goes up and not down and my x axis only goes right and not left. I dont know if you experiencing something like that but my y axis is fine. Its just the x and y axis that move away from the home position. Im am working hard and reading many forums but have found nothing so far. I wanted to ask if you find anything on this subject to let me know maybe we can help each other.
December 30, 2012 02:07AM
Usually when an axis moves in one direction and not the other it is an end stop issue. I know you think you have the end stops configured correctly, but what does the firmware think. There is a g code command that let's you query end stop status (at least with marlin). I think it's M119, or somewhere in that range. Enter it and see what the firmware reports.

It might be something else, but this is an easy way to rule out the end stops.
December 30, 2012 04:28AM
If it moves away from the end stop but doesn't attempt to move towards it then it is ALWAYS an end stop issue.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
December 30, 2012 08:52PM
One other thing - even if the end stop is working, the printer will not move any closer to that endstop than your initial position unless you home the axis. In other words, if you do not home the X axis, you can move in a positive X direction or in a negative X direction until you get back to your starting position, but no further. The problem is the printer does not know where home is when it first powers up, so it assumes that home is the current location. It won't move to a negative location. You need to home the axis first
January 02, 2013 01:09PM
Thanks a lot bernardis and nophead :p it's definitely an endstop problem then. (sry for my late reaction) . My axis will only move away from the endstop and it wont move back even if it is at + 100mm. The position number goes down when you push though in the software, but the axis doesnt actuelly move.

@roman if its fixed here i'll let you now. I'm gonna try that gcode u gave, if something seems wrong maybe ill resolder the pins for the endstops or replace that one endstop.
January 02, 2013 01:44PM
You were right bernardis, i tested that gcode and it gave me that my x and z pins are being pulled low due to closed endstop but for the y-axis it sais high.
I'll resolder the board, see if that helps, thanks for ur help .
January 02, 2013 03:18PM
Nice its fixed now :p couldnt get the pin soldered properly to the board anymore after desoldering but ii could make it stick a little so i connected it to one of the other gnd pins by wire at the bottom.

Now it works fine thx again for responses.
January 21, 2013 03:09AM
Hello , i have the same problem but i didn't understand the solution .
y and x is going only in one direction.I change the cables from the moter but i could not find any combination that goes both sides.It goes only left OR only right direction.I have place opto end stops.
When i set it to the other direction ,the power suply turns off!
I would like to ask where sould i place the opto endstop, the side where the moter is, or the opposoite side of the moter
January 21, 2013 09:41AM
Change the settings for your endstops in the firmware.
January 21, 2013 10:05AM
i don't know where these setings are? Is this at config.h?
i am using teacup

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2013 10:29AM by alfadex.
January 21, 2013 10:57AM
Issues with axis' only traveling in one direction are almost ALWAYS due to wiring issues or firmware settings.
In marlin these basic settings are in config.h, I assume other firmwares are similar.

The axis' on a reprap will only move towards the endstops, until the axis' are homed. This is because the machine has no way of knowing how far it has to move in the opposite direction, until it has been homed.

In order for your machine to home itself, your wiring and firmware settings need to be proper. There are many combinations of this setup depending on your endstop setup, and motors default direction. You need to take everything into consideration and wire your endstops/set your firmware for your setup.
January 21, 2013 11:18AM
thank you very much.I have wire the optostop very well,i measure it with a voltmeter and when the beam is not disturbed,i send m200 and it returns 0. If i disturb the beam it returns 1.So i think its well configured .But i must do something at the firmware.
Even if i disturb the beam it does not happend anything,but its well conected
I have made all combintaion with wires but i am sure the problem is with firmware
January 21, 2013 06:33PM
ok i found one of two problems. It was going only to one direction because of the driver!I test another driver and it goes both directions and the problematic driver does the same in every axis!
The other one driver ,is veeery noisy and some times it jumps steps.The rest 3 drivers i have working perfect.I bought these drivers from ebay and these are at the red pcb.So,not all the drivers are in same condition!!
Now i have to search what about optoend stops
February 05, 2013 12:36AM
Yea i agree it was and endstop one of the cables was loose and the other one was broken. I bougth new ones and solder them on working just great. Thanks for the all the help and sorry for such a late reply i wanted to fix the problem before i posted anything new. BTW if you need new endstops at mouser. com the sensors i used are different but worked great. the part number is TCST2103 just incase you need some
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login