Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps Struggling

Posted by PurduePete 
Ramps Struggling
April 02, 2013 02:28PM
Hello All,

I am excited to join this forum and group. I am currently building a Prusa Mendel and have just gotten the electronics in. I knew that this would be the point that I struggled with. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've gotten the software to install on my Arduino successfully and everything. I have the Pololu A4988 soldered and then installed on the ramps. Only 1 axis for now, the Z. I really haven't got a clue how to get it to move. I adjusted the pot so it was all the way counter clockwise and then 25% clockwise as an initial test spot to measure current and then I connected the motor. After connecting the motor and checking that everything was wired correctly (assuming A1 and B1 are A+ and B+ with B2 and A2 being A- and B- on the motor coils). But I get nothing from my motor. Was hoping to at least get it to lock up but it doesn't do anything. The board flashes when I hit connect in pronterface but can't get it to do anything. What can I check? I really haven't got a clue what I am doing and am not sure where to get the information. Just pointing me in the direction of a youtube video would be great. Hoping to have the electronics going pretty soon, tomorrow the printed parts should be here and I'd like to have the electronics going by tomorrow night so I can start assembly.

Any thoughts? I have looked on here. Imagine all of this is answered but I don't even know what I am looking for.
Re: Ramps Struggling
April 02, 2013 07:37PM
Have you got 12v connected to the ramps board (outer connector)?
April 02, 2013 07:50PM
What firmware do you have installed?
April 02, 2013 08:32PM
I have sprinter installed and also have 12v connected to only the 5A minimum side. It is rated at 11 amps though.
April 03, 2013 01:36AM
I am sorry. Didn't realize I posted two different threads. Had trouble with my browser loading and it gave me an error message. As an update I am able to measure Vref but I get no voltage from The pins for the motor when using Pronterface. Really just wondering where to look at this point. Thanks.

I installed the test software and found that only LED1 blinks. What other three are supposed to be blinking. Is it likely the arduino or the ramps is defective?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 02:26AM by PurduePete.
April 03, 2013 03:40AM
Did you make the necessary settings in Sprinter before uploaading to Arduino?
April 03, 2013 08:34AM
Yes I did. Found a YouTube tutorial for that. Last night, really this morning, I found and uploaded test software. Only LED1 flashed.
April 03, 2013 04:34PM
LED 1 runs on 5V and is controlled by the processor directly, LED 2,3,4 run from the 12V supply and are controlled through the relevant mosfets. The suggests that the 12V supply isn't working. Break out your multimeter and verify that 12V is present at the 5A input and on the vmot pins of the stepper driver.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login