Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Minimum distance

Posted by AjaxOfTheRockies 
Z Minimum distance
December 29, 2013 02:26PM
Hi Everyone,
I'd like to hear opinion on what is the optimal minimum distance from the bed to the nozzle. Right now, using Pronterface, I measured 120.80 mm from home to just holding a piece of paper in place - I can slide the paper with noticeable drag. Not enough pressure to score the paper when I slide it around under the nozzle.

My calipers say the paper is 0.107mm (0.00425in) thick.

So, what is your set at?

THX!

Oh, and my nozzle is a Mk V-BV 0.35mm (new to the printer; my Christmas present)

- a -
Re: Z Minimum distance
December 29, 2013 10:21PM
Not quite sure what this has to do with the Ramps board .....

1) Your bed needs to be level or you need to use auto leveling
2) Since you are (apparently) using a max end stop rather than a min, things that impact the travel distance need to be well controlled.
3) With your nozzle, a layer height in the 0.2 mm vicinity is possible.
4) Holding your zero to 10% of the layer height is a good idea, that gets you to 0.02mm

You want zero to truly be zero. There are other ways to do it, but having it be zero is the best way. The fewer tweaks you have over here to fix an issue over there the better Tweaks tend to get overlooked when you change things around. Once you are printing, the print it's self can tell you a lot about how close you are and how level everything is.
Re: Z Minimum distance
December 29, 2013 11:07PM
Thanks for the input; very good information.

Apologies about off topic, I posted before I realized I was still in the RAMPS forum. I copied it into the right place too.

Thanks for answering here.

- a -
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login