Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps 1.4 - MOSFET Q

Posted by Janski 
Ramps 1.4 - MOSFET Q
March 13, 2014 08:19PM
If a ramps1.4 boar short circuits due to wires touching. - In this case from D10 (extruder heater) - can the MOSFETs be replaced?

See Pic

I have bridged the shorted route and changed to a MOSFET up to 35watts to the Voltage controlling MOSFET, however, once I start it the temperature just starts going up w/o ability to stop. Overheating the board and all.

Any advice on this problem?

How hot can the board get before other parts start to malfunction?

Sincerely,

Janski
Attachments:
open | download - ramps 1.4 shortcircuit.jpg (261.5 KB)
Re: Ramps 1.4 - MOSFET Q
March 13, 2014 09:31PM
How hot the MOSFET should get depends on a lot of things. Do you have the spec or part # of the MOSFET you used to replace the one on the RAMPS board? Not all MOSFETs are good fits for this setup - you simply can't just replace one with another unless it's suitable.

Also, you should have a fan (eg: a small 40-60mm in dia fan) that is permanently on/running, pointing at your RAMPS board, as the MOSFETs, the PTC fuses and the stepper drivers all really require active cooling (ie: a on all the time fan) to be reliable.

With regards to the fan, I get a lot of people who say "but it works without it", but fail to realise that it's working NOW, which may not be later when the environment is different (eg: the room is warmer, different humidity, more/less natural airflow, board gets placed close to a heated bed, etc). RAMPS produces some amount of heat, and if you don't actively cool it, you can't guarantee that you're not going to have issues.

All that said, I suspect that your hot end has some real issues, as it shouldn't be drawing that much current.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login