Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS SHORT CIRCUIT!!

Posted by bhoke 
RAMPS SHORT CIRCUIT!!
July 17, 2014 09:20AM
Hello all,

When I connected the steppers and their drivers. My extruder driver fried (not sure why I think there was a problem on Ultimachine RAMPS board). Then I checked all driver pins one by one and enable pins are high

although I make them low. That's why my steppers don't rotate. However when I eject RAMPS from Arduino, pin connected to X_Enable gets low (I measured 38th pin of DIGITAL pins of Arduino). My code is below. I am doubtful of short circuit at RAMPS board.

What do you prefer for this?

void setup ()  {
#define X_ENABLE_PIN       38
#define Y_ENABLE_PIN       56
#define Z_ENABLE_PIN       62
#define e0_ENABLE_PIN       24
#define e1_ENABLE_PIN       30

pinMode(X_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT );
pinMode(Y_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT );
pinMode(Z_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT );
pinMode(e0_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT );
pinMode(e1_ENABLE_PIN, OUTPUT );

}

void loop (){

digitalWrite(X_ENABLE_PIN,HIGH);
digitalWrite(Y_ENABLE_PIN,LOW);
digitalWrite(Z_ENABLE_PIN,LOW);
digitalWrite(e0_ENABLE_PIN,LOW);
digitalWrite(e1_ENABLE_PIN,LOW);

}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 09:58AM by bhoke.
Re: RAMPS SHORT CIRCUIT!!
July 17, 2014 03:15PM
Power down, remove all Pololus and measure again. Pololus can have a short, too. Especially when they were inserted the wrong way before and you powered up.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 18, 2014 05:55AM
I measured it with just Arduino connected. I think board was defective at the beginning because I'm sure that I placed drivers right direction (screw side is opposite to power supply input).
July 19, 2014 01:08PM
Help please
July 19, 2014 04:01PM
These stepper drivers are very fragile. If you DID insert them backwards, they may be shot. Once you know you have a good driver, I'd go with 1 motor at a time. Do not even insert the other drivers. Get X working, then move on to Y, Z, and E. And when you are working with these drivers, always remove power - I remove both the power connector from ramps as well as the USB from the arduino - any time you are inserting or removing either a driver or a motor. Inserting either of these under power is a sure way to fry the driver boards.
July 20, 2014 09:03AM
jbernardis
These stepper drivers are very fragile. If you DID insert them backwards, they may be shot. Once you know you have a good driver, I'd go with 1 motor at a time. Do not even insert the other drivers. Get X working, then move on to Y, Z, and E. And when you are working with these drivers, always remove power - I remove both the power connector from ramps as well as the USB from the arduino - any time you are inserting or removing either a driver or a motor. Inserting either of these under power is a sure way to fry the driver boards.

But I'm sure that I connect them in right direction, and I did everything after shut down the power
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login