Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Servo causes reset

Posted by natecampbell 
Servo causes reset
May 06, 2015 03:59PM
When ever I plug a servo into my RAMPS 1.4 it causes the board to reset and the servo to move... Anyone have any ideas or solutions for this problem?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 04:05PM by natecampbell.
Re: Servo causes reset
May 06, 2015 04:28PM
Playing around with this a little more. Not quite sure if resetting is the right word. Windows makes the device disconnected noise. Also if I plug the servo into one of the inactive servo pins (I setup marlin for 2 servos) it makes the disconnected noise once. I can then unplug the board and plug it back in and it works fine (the board not the servo) If I plug it into one of the active servo pins it just keeps repeating the disconnect noise and the servo keeps moving in small jerks.
May 06, 2015 04:32PM
May 06, 2015 05:24PM
Sounds like you are trying to power the servo from the Arduino/RAMPS +5V rail. The 5V regulator on the Arduino is puny and can supply very little current, certainly not enough to power a servo. Either provide a higher-current 5V supply, or invest in better printer electronics that does that already.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 06, 2015 06:40PM
Yeah, sounds likely, also just had it plugged in to the usb port on my computer to test. Still seems a bit strange as it doesn't involve trying to power it, happens with just plugging it in
May 07, 2015 01:21AM
Yes, this was the problem. Plugged into to 12v power supply and everything worked fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login