Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MKS Gen 1.3 - Run fan only when hotend is working

Posted by mersadk 
MKS Gen 1.3 - Run fan only when hotend is working
September 30, 2015 07:22AM
I have u Prusa i3 with MKS Gen 1.3 board, which is based on RAMPS board.

I would like to make my coldend fan work only when hotend heater is on. Currently fan is connected to 12V pin, and it starts when printer is plugged in.

Thanks
Re: MKS Gen 1.3 - Run fan only when hotend is working
September 30, 2015 09:33AM
I've not used the MKS Gen 1.3 before, but from a quick look at the Wiki page I see it has 4 MOSFET outputs - are you currently using all four?

If you've got one of the MOSFETs spare, you should be able to configure it to run your fan. If you're running the Marlin firmware, the behaviour you want (fan on when HotEnd is heated) can be found in the configuration_adv.h file, near the line:

#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1

You'd have to find the pin that corresponds to your unused MOSFET, and replace -1 with that pin number.

If you've already used all four MOSFET outputs, I have a board called TinyFan designed for RAMPS that adds two more. From the MKS Gen 1.3 pin map image it should work identically on this board (seems the pin layout for the servo header is identical to RAMPS). Check the TinyFan page here for more info - there's a section on configuring Marlin, which could be handy even if you're using the existing MOSFETs.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
-Chris

I'm the owner of Aus3D, an Australian business that aims to make 3D printing more affordable for all. We've recently launched our new Mark2 3D Printer Kits - check them out!
Re: MKS Gen 1.3 - Run fan only when hotend is working
September 30, 2015 01:11PM
Chris-Aus3D
I've not used the MKS Gen 1.3 before, but from a quick look at the Wiki page I see it has 4 MOSFET outputs - are you currently using all four?

If you've got one of the MOSFETs spare, you should be able to configure it to run your fan. If you're running the Marlin firmware, the behaviour you want (fan on when HotEnd is heated) can be found in the configuration_adv.h file, near the line:

#define EXTRUDER_0_AUTO_FAN_PIN -1

You'd have to find the pin that corresponds to your unused MOSFET, and replace -1 with that pin number.

If you've already used all four MOSFET outputs, I have a board called TinyFan designed for RAMPS that adds two more. From the MKS Gen 1.3 pin map image it should work identically on this board (seems the pin layout for the servo header is identical to RAMPS). Check the TinyFan page here for more info - there's a section on configuring Marlin, which could be handy even if you're using the existing MOSFETs.

Hope that helps!

Regards,
-Chris

I had free E0 output, which is connected to D7 pin. After wiring and changing config it worked.

Thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/2015 01:12PM by mersadk.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login