Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 Mega 2560 Keeps Frying!!!

Posted by 32bitbrad 
RAMPS 1.4 Mega 2560 Keeps Frying!!!
January 23, 2016 03:17PM
hello everyone,

So for some reason my first ramps board decided to fry, for no reason what so ever. So i ordered a replacement Arduino and ramps board, once wired correctly i powered it on and the LCD didn't turn on, then after about 5 seconds, i was greeted with MAGIC SMOKE from the mega, it looks like the voltage regulator on the mega had fried as it had a burn mark. So after much door kicking i ordered another mega, but after connecting THAT FRIED again! After reconnecting my door to its hinges i then, looked into why it was frying for the next 3 hours, and found nothing that could help, So i came to the conclusion that my ramps board was defective, so ordered a whole brand new kit. But, surprise surprise, this FRIED ASWELL!!! Please, what is happening here!

All the connections are correct and are not shorting out
I have soldered D1 onto the board correctly
Bed resistance is correct
Stepper drivers are in correct
my ATX psu is outputting about 12.2V, which should be fine

I have tried removing D1 so that the Mega is powered via a USB connection, but again i get no LEDs no nothing.... However when disconnected from the ramps board the mega powers up fine...

So here i cam with 3 fried megas, and 3 currently useless ramps boards, please what do i do...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 03:29PM by 32bitbrad.
Re: RAMPS 1.4 Mega 2560 Keeps Frying!!!
January 23, 2016 04:30PM
When you connected everything did you connect all motors, endstops, themistors etc? Did you plug in the arduino to the computer with a USB cable and without the Ramps or did you power the arduino using the ramps while not connected to the computer?

Prusa i3 Rework - Ramps 1.4 - E3d Lite6 - Full Graphic LCD Controller
January 23, 2016 04:49PM
I fashed my firmware to the mega beforehand, i then connected it to the ramps board and turned on my 12v PSU. I had everything connected, motors, thermistors, bed, hotend etc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 05:03PM by 32bitbrad.
January 23, 2016 05:55PM
Did you check power input to ramps? Might have reversed the wires?

You unplugged USB when connecting ramps to the mega?(making sure)

You mention ATX and 12v psu. Is it one of those LED things?

I have had several megas and never had to solder D1 on. Everything was always in place.

Mayby one of your drivers are faulty or you put then In in reverse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 05:56PM by dintid.

My Instructables - both total newbie instructables and some for intermediate users.
My Designs on Thingiverse
YouTube channel containing a few 3D printing videos - they are videos for my Instructables, and mostly not standalone.
Ultius / Tantillus Thingiverse Group
January 29, 2016 04:27PM
32bitbrad
hello everyone,

So for some reason my first ramps board decided to fry, for no reason what so ever. So i ordered a replacement Arduino and ramps board, once wired correctly i powered it on and the LCD didn't turn on, then after about 5 seconds, i was greeted with MAGIC SMOKE from the mega, it looks like the voltage regulator on the mega had fried as it had a burn mark. So after much door kicking i ordered another mega, but after connecting THAT FRIED again! After reconnecting my door to its hinges i then, looked into why it was frying for the next 3 hours, and found nothing that could help, So i came to the conclusion that my ramps board was defective, so ordered a whole brand new kit. But, surprise surprise, this FRIED ASWELL!!! Please, what is happening here!

All the connections are correct and are not shorting out
I have soldered D1 onto the board correctly
Bed resistance is correct
Stepper drivers are in correct
my ATX psu is outputting about 12.2V, which should be fine

I have tried removing D1 so that the Mega is powered via a USB connection, but again i get no LEDs no nothing.... However when disconnected from the ramps board the mega powers up fine...

So here i cam with 3 fried megas, and 3 currently useless ramps boards, please what do i do...

I have upgraded to a duet 0.6 board for my 3dprinter. I can sell you my working ramps 1.4 arduino board and LCD for cheap if you are interested? The board comes pre-placed into a printed case. the LCD also comes in a printed case.
Attachments:
open | download - ramps box.jpg (378.8 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login