Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramps burnt trace

Posted by smb1985 
Ramps burnt trace
August 04, 2012 05:13PM
So, I've done one successful print on my Prusa using RAMPS 1.4 so far. However, when I was going to do a second print, the PSU (an ATX PSU) shut off and turned on a while later. I figured that it was a thermal shutoff and decided to get a more powerful psu to hopefully handle the printer without working too hard (and overheating). So I connected a 600W psu with plenty of amperage on the 12v line to the printer and started warming up. After a few minutes, I saw a puff of smoke from the RAMPS board and the trace between the voltage regulator and the power connector for extruder 0's heater had burned. I could run a wire to bypass the burnt trace without too much of an issue, but I was wondering if the psu I got was TOO powerful for the thing? However, since the trace was AFTER the regulator, I feel like this should be a fluke, not an overcurrent issue? Any input is appreciated.

-Brit
Re: Ramps burnt trace
August 04, 2012 11:21PM
A power supply can't be too powerful. You could hook up a 12V supply that can provide 200 amps and it would be fine. The electronics will take as much power as they need, and no more. The exception is if you have a bad component or a short. Since it was the trace after the regulator, the regulator may have been bad, or there may have been a short. Pictures would help.

Help improve the RepRap wiki!
Just click "Edit" in the top-right corner of the page and start typing.
Anyone can edit the wiki!
August 05, 2012 01:39AM
Here's an image of it. I can't find any short anywhere, and like I said it was working fine until this happened. Since I'm only using one extruder, I'm thinking I should just switch it over to E1 for a quick fix?
Attachments:
open | download - trace.jpg (59.5 KB)
August 05, 2012 12:31PM
Ok, so I tried switching to the second extruder connection, and it blew that trace as well, again after the regulator. I'm rather confused here....
August 05, 2012 12:49PM
measure the resistance of your extruder. short?
August 05, 2012 12:55PM
It measures at 6 Ohms. That seems somewhat low to me, but since it's made to heat the nozzle maybe it should be that low?
August 05, 2012 12:56PM
Yes, it could be a short, but I have seen this problem on RAMPS 1.3 a couple of times. The solution is to solder a nice piece of copper across the break. Make sure the resistance on the heater resistor is around 6 Ohm. Less than 5.5 Ohm, and I think it will bee too much.
August 05, 2012 01:04PM
So since the resistance looks fine, I've just bypassed the trace with a decently thick wire. I'll update if it holds or any other problems arise.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login