Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with prusa i3 + ATX PSU

Posted by hessuhopo 
Need help with prusa i3 + ATX PSU
June 14, 2016 02:42PM
Hello! I had to register here just to make sure couple of things. Im from Finland and I have been wanting to own a 3D printer for quite a while now. Tomorrow im planning on ordering the Prusa i3 Hephestos from Bq, Spain. And already got this ATX PSU [www.techpowerup.com]
Since the hephestos doesnt come with heated bed, i will buy that too from them [store.bq.com]
May be a silly question, but how do i wire the heated bed? I have seen pictures and wiring diagrams, and i would be able to do it on normal occasion but since i have more powerful supply (34A at 12V) and to my understanding the bed will draw "all that it can get" unless its regulated somehow. So my concern is the Ramps board, because what i have read that it could fry on situations like this? Or what is the correct way of connecting those pieces together? And of course i wont plug the bed straight to the PSU because then it would be "on" all the time.. And what would be good thickness to the wires from the PSU to the board/bed and all those that matter AWG/mm^2?
Re: Need help with prusa i3 + ATX PSU
June 14, 2016 06:20PM
The bed draws current based on its resistance, These beds draw 11amp at 12v

The bed does need to be regulated for temperature, Ie you have a thermistor on the bed that tells your controller the current temperature, the controller turns the bed on and off to maintain the set temperature

Normally you just plug the bed in to the controller and the thermistor into the controller and update the firmware with the type of thermistor you installed. You may need to change the motherboard definition to set bed, fan and hotend mode.

NB most cheap controller board come with a crappy bed mosfet, I would advise replacing it with a better one.
A IRLB 8743 is recommended over the normal STP55NF06L

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 10:10PM by Dust.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login