October 14, 2016 03:10PM
Hey,

I am looking for a good reliable RAMPS kit with:
-Arduino Mega
-RAMPS
-Stepper Drivers
-LCD Screen

Plus, I am looking for a good 12v 500w PSU and 12v to 12v dc SSR
(I am looking for stuff on Ebay or Aliexpress)
Thanks!
Re: Looking for a reliable RAMPS kit and PSU+relay
October 14, 2016 08:40PM
reliable and ebay or aliexpress are mutually exclusive!

you cannot have cheap and reliable.
October 15, 2016 03:51AM
I am sure that *someone* on this forums have bought RAMPS from Ebay or Aliexpress and was satisfied...
October 15, 2016 08:27AM
IDK, but i prefer a reprap oriented seller, who has lots of printer stuffs available.

For LCD screens, FYI it might fry the 5V regulator on your Arduino. You can replace it with a bigger 7805 regulator.
You know this happens when Arduino/screen only works if you connect your printer to USB.

Some RAMPS boards are blind to the jumpers, so you cannot change the stepping at all. It is always the highest. [forums.reprap.org]

You could use ATX PSU from your local computer store. They probably have Arduino too.
October 15, 2016 01:39PM
Esh3D
Hey,

I am looking for a good reliable RAMPS kit with:
-Arduino Mega
-RAMPS
-Stepper Drivers
-LCD Screen

Plus, I am looking for a good 12v 500w PSU and 12v to 12v dc SSR
(I am looking for stuff on Ebay or Aliexpress)
Thanks!

What power bed heater do you intend to use? You may be better off using 24V power and no SSR.

As has already been said, reliable and eBay/Amazon prices for Arduino/RAMPS are mostly mutually exclusive. Reliable and Arduino+RAMPS+graphical LCD are also mutually exclusive unless you supply external power. Reliable+plug-in drivers don't sit very well together either.

If you can afford something better than a cheap Arduino+RAMPS+LCD combo, I suggest you look at all-in-one boards. Here are some features that you may find on such boards, starting with the ones I consider most important:

- Built-in 5V switching regulator to power the LCD plus and servos etc. that you have
- Software-controlled stepper motor current
- Firmware that you don't need to recompile and re-upload every time you want to change something
- A web interface

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 15, 2016 08:22PM
It is a custom heated bed which is configured to work with 12v plus the RAMPS is working with 12v.
I don't need these featurs as it is a simple delta mechine and we have limited budget.
And I guess I'll just look for the kit with the most good feedbacks, I believe we can do it with those cheap electronics smiling smiley
October 16, 2016 12:58AM
Esh3D
It is a custom heated bed which is configured to work with 12v plus the RAMPS is working with 12v.
I don't need these featurs as it is a simple delta mechine and we have limited budget.
And I guess I'll just look for the kit with the most good feedbacks, I believe we can do it with those cheap electronics smiling smiley

You may think you don't need any of those features, but you do need to provide a good 5V supply to your graphic LCD if you have one. That is why I put the on-board 5V regulator first in the list. When RAMPS was designed, nobody used graphical LCDs with 3D printers, so proving sufficient 5V power wasn't a concern.

Back to your original question, Think3DPrint3D used to sell a better than usual quality RAMPS kit, with IRLB8743 heater MOSFETs and "ice blue" plug-in drivers built with 4-layer boards instead of the usual 2-layer. I don't know whether they have any left, although I have a couple. You can also buy a genuine Arduino Mega, or perhaps a Taurino with the better 5V regulator.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2016 01:01AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login