Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RAMPS 1.4 VS Megatronics

Posted by toinobcool 
RAMPS 1.4 VS Megatronics
August 08, 2013 02:06AM
Hello there!

First of all i want to thank the forum and all the people because i have learn a lot with it.

I´m thinking coming in in the RepRap 3D printing and i was thinking building a Prusa i3.

I have a question regarding the best electronics, i see that most everyone use RAMPS 1.4 but it seems that Megatronics 2.0 is the news version of it, cheaper, smaller and with more features. The problem is that support , new firmware to Megatronics 2.0 is almost ZERO, i understand that Meg. 2.0 is a version of RAMPS 1.4 but it have some differences.

What do you recommend i should acquire, regarding all aspect of both electronics, i love the all in one board from megatronics but the firmware updating and support for RAMPS 1.4 seems much better.

Thank you for your attention.
Regards
Re: RAMPS 1.4 VS Megatronics
August 08, 2013 03:40AM
Err, Megatronics 2.0 is based on a Mega 2560, so it should just work as long as you get the pins.h correct or the right board set in something like Marlin. I don't know about thermocouple support though, but if you're using thermistors you should be fine.

Something I noticed (and like) about it is that they've removed those stupid PTC fuses. That said, I'd want to put fuses in-line with the PSU "just in case".

Note: Nowhere does it state what sort of voltage ranges you can put into the voltage inputs other than 12V. As someone who runs almost exclusively on 24V, this doesn't help me decide if the board would be usable.
August 09, 2013 02:10AM
Ok! So Megatronics it is the same just a difference of getting the correct pins.h .
But in general is it a reliable and a "Wanted" board or is it better to get the RAMPS 1.4 ?

Thanks
August 10, 2013 03:23AM
I can't really speak for Mechatronics 2.0, as I don't have one. In theory, it's a nice all in one solution, if you take into account the caveats I mentioned above.

As for RAMPS 1.4, I personally don't want to use RAMPS 1.4 on my next machine. I'm sick of all the small problems with it. I can work around all of them, but I'm sick of having something with workarounds. The idea is nice but it has many problems (as I've pointed out in many other threads and won't go over again).

Personally I'm looking forward to what bobc is planning to do with a board suitable for use on an Arduino Due (which should work fine on a Mega as well), as he's listened to a lot of the issues with RAMPS that everyone has brought up, and tried to address them in his design. That said, it's not yet a finished design (there's not even a finished PCB yet).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login