Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[Solved] Problem with RAMPS board

Posted by rittballz 
[Solved] Problem with RAMPS board
May 29, 2016 01:09AM
I am building a Prusa I3 model printer and am having problems with my RAMPS Board.
I am able to manually operate the extruder and one axis at a time using Repetier host software. The problem that I am having is that when I insert more than 2 Stepper drivers into their correct spots, the power cuts off and the board dies. I am able to fully operate 2 of the drivers (extruder and x, extruder and y, x and y) however, when I put the driver in the z axis slot, the board loses power and cuts off communication with my computer. I have monitored the voltage and it is putting out a consistent 5v to the driver while the first 2 are seated, but when the third is placed in the board quickly loses voltage and goes completely off. Can anyone think of a solution?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 04:53PM by rittballz.
Re: Problem with RAMPS board
May 29, 2016 01:15AM
driver are meant to be 12v (vmot anyways)

have you wired the 12v 5amp plug to 5v?

is D1 installed?

could also also be a damaged voltage regulator on the mega
May 29, 2016 01:21AM
I'm only pulling 5V through the vmot. Can you provide a diagram for wiring the 12v 5amp to the correct spot?
May 29, 2016 01:24AM
ramps has two power rails

12v 5amp power steppers, hot end and mega vi d1 to vin pin
12v 11amp powers the heated bed

IE both power inputs need to be 12v

See the power section of [reprap.org]

or

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2016 01:28AM by Dust.
May 29, 2016 01:29AM
I have that part wired correctly. How can I confirm if it is a problem with the voltage regulator because it sounds that way to me?
May 29, 2016 01:49AM
voltage regulator has nothing to do with vmot... vmot comes directly from the 12v 5amp rail.

Are you sure you measured the correct pins for vmot?

not easy to confirm voltage regulator issues if it does provide 5v but not enough current., You replace it and cross fingers.
You can bypass it. Remove D1, then ramps doesn’t send voltage to the regulator and then apply your own 5v power (to +5v and gnd on a unused endstop for eg)
May 29, 2016 01:54AM
That's my mistake, i am getting 12V through vmot.
May 29, 2016 01:55AM
The problem though is that I can't operate more than 2 drivers at a time without the board powering off.
May 29, 2016 10:34AM
Are you sure your power supply is adequate?
Sounds like overcurrent protection kicks in to me.
Try turning on heated bed and hot end at the same time.
May 29, 2016 11:27AM
I am able to turn on the heated bed, extruder, fan, and one stepper motor at the same time. I am able to extrude and step the motor without any power loss, but when another stepper driver goes in it turns off. Also, the stepper drivers are in the correct orientation.
May 29, 2016 04:52PM
I have figured out the problem. 2 of the stepper drivers are broken. Thanks guys
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login