Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One "quadrant" printing bad.

Posted by phroid 
One "quadrant" printing bad.
January 16, 2013 05:53PM
I'm having a strange problem that I am having trouble wrapping my head around. Prints are coming out with one quadrant, between the +X and -Y axis, bad and kind of overflowing in that direction only. The other sides of the print look good. In the included picture, I labeled the axis as it was printed and included shots around at different angles. The +Y, -X quadrant is just about perfect but straight across from it at -Y,+X is a mess. The effect is the same no matter what the shape of the object and relatively consistent all the way up Z. It almost looks like gravity is working too hard on that side but I've checked the print bed for level. Any ideas for things to check?
Thanks, phroid

Prusa v2
J-head Mark VII, with fan
RAMPS 1.4
Sprinter
Slic3r 0.9.7
.2 mm layers
3.0 PLA 185
Wades Accesible
Heated glass bed, kapton, 60
Attachments:
open | download - FourShots_BadHex_new.jpg (583 KB)
Re: One "quadrant" printing bad.
January 16, 2013 07:34PM
Looks like the direction the fan is blowing might be casing the difference.

Other than that it looks like the filament is hanging down instead of being pulled tight. That is caused by trying to print a filament with a cross section bigger than the nozzle allows. Having said that 0.2 layers are normally OK for a 0.35 nozzle but it depends what width Slic3r is trying to use.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: One "quadrant" printing bad. (solved)
January 19, 2013 08:11AM
Thanks for the reply nophead. I tried printing with the fan off but it had no effect. I tried printing in different locations around the bed in case it was warped or something, same effect. Then I took the J-head off and rotated it around 180 degrees and the problem moved 180 degrees so I knew it was in the J-head. I usually clean out clogged heads (PLA) with a little soak in Weld-On number 4 then hit it with some compressed air to clear the nozzle. My trick did not work this time so I got out the magnifier glass and found that the tip of the nozzle was bent to one side and kind of smashed, as if it had been dropped on the floor or driven into the print bed with some good force. I don't remember a specific incident but I'm pretty sure it was human error, as usual.

I'm sure that the bend to one side is why the prints were coming out the way they were. Now I will try to file it down straight again. My guess is it will never be the same and I'll need a new brass head.

Thanks for the help all. phroid
Re: One "quadrant" printing bad.
January 19, 2013 11:22PM
I'm guessing you have a nipple on your J-head? (MK-IV)

It's been a pain in my @ss, and I am ordering a MK-VB.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login