Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DUH! Be sure to measure filament thickness!!

Posted by rtrahms 
DUH! Be sure to measure filament thickness!!
February 02, 2013 07:18PM
Hi all -
I have been posting my steady progress toward clean prints, but was puzzled in the way my printer always appeared to have excess plastic. I have 3mm wide PLA that I use. I calibrated everything, but forgot to adjust this value in Slic3r. I just left the default 3mm value. Oh my. After measuring my filament thickness with a caliper, I found that it was actually 3.3mm. This would explain the excess plastic in every print despite all my calibration. DUH. I feel dumb.

Anyway, since my adjustment of this parameter, my prints are coming out really clean! Note to all you noob reprappers like me, DO NOT TAKE THE MARKETED THICKNESS OF YOUR FILAMENT AS CORRECT FOR YOUR SLICER!!

I will post some of my latest prints soon.

Rob
Re: DUH! Be sure to measure filament thickness!!
February 03, 2013 02:54AM
Attached is my latest print sample. I am extremely happy with the precision!

Also, another (supposedly obvious) item I missed while trying to have more precise prints was having enough firmness in the registration of the glass plate with the heated bed. My glass plate was held on by two large clips - I have now come to realize that THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. There was a little wiggle if the extruder made contact at all with the model/bed, and caused very subtle registration shifts. I now have eight clips on the glass plate, and prints are more exact!
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_1626_mini.jpg (120.6 KB)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login