Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kapton Tape being pulled off the build platform during part removal

Posted by rcullan 
Kapton Tape being pulled off the build platform during part removal
September 30, 2013 04:50PM
Guys,
I would really appreciate some helpful input. I am getting very good adhesion to my kapton tape on my HBP, so much adhesion in fact, when I remove parts the kapton is being pulled off the aluminum build platform and creating a bubble underneath the Kapton. I am using a Cricut Spatula for removing my prints and its an awesome tool. I am taking my time and slowly working the part free but it bubbles none the less, im cettainly not wrenching these off with a pair of channel locks or anything.

What I have been doing is pricking the bubbles with a safety pin and flatting them out with the spatula. This works OK, not perfect and its super annoying.

How do I get better adhesion between my Kapton and my aluminum HPB? I'd like some thoughts on this before I go to a glass build platform.

Thanks!
Re: Kapton Tape being pulled off the build platform during part removal
October 01, 2013 07:39AM
Hi

I have not used kapton on alu but obviously you need to make sure the alu plate is smooth and not scratched and very clean before applying the tape so the tape adheres well. I am sure you have done that already.
I use glass and you will sometimes have the same problem there. If you squash the first layer "too much" on a part with large contact area onto the tape you may stretch the kapton as you remove the part, leaving a large bubble behind.
I find that after the table has cooled down I give the part a quick tap with the back of a screw driver and it pops off. (Just make sure the part is strong enough to cope with a tap so it does not brake on you.)

It is annoying at times but have not found anything else that is as good as kapton. ABS slurry works fine as well but messy and smells. I tried hairspray a year and a half ago but adhesion was rather poor, but very easy to apply.

Regards
Jan

======================================
[3dprinting4u.wordpress.com]
October 01, 2013 10:43PM
Jan,
Thank you for your explanation, and I believe you hit the nail on the head. The Kapton must be stretching as I remove the parts causing the creation of a void where it was previously adhered to the aluminum.

Yes, your correct I have been maintaining my aluminum build platform very carefully taking any burrs or scratches out with 400 grit sandpaper. I also always clean the aluminum with acetone before applying a layer of kapton to get the best adhesion possible.

I had read about and mixed up a batch of ABS juice right before posting this, but I had not tried it yet. I am very plased with the strength of the adhesion of this method. For my applications with my printer I am printing mostly large (horizontally) but short (height) parts so I need the corners of my print to stay down. The only downside is that it sticks so well I cant get them off without damaging the tape. There is just too large of a surface area adhered to the build platform.

Have you ever tested using ABS juice directly on a glass build platform without kapton? Or is it possible to use ABS juice on another material other than Kapton? preferably some material that is cheaper than Kapton

Thanks,
Ryan
October 02, 2013 05:03AM
Hi Ryan,

Sorry I did not make myself clear but I use ABS directly on glass. Best to apply on a cold heat bed but I have also applied it on hot bed...but not recommended.

Regards
Jan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login